Heart Disease Community
Subclavian Thrombus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Subclavian Thrombus

ok, where to start....Im 23 years old and 4 months ago i woke up one sunday morning with my right arm 3 tims its normal size, and when i say arm i mean everything from and including my shoulder down. so i went to the hospital and found out i have a blood clot in the subclavian vein on the right side. 2.5 months before that i was in a pretty bad car accident where some lady ran a red light and t-boned my driver side door(i was in the driver seat) when i went to the hospital for that my left shoulder was hanging from my body, i thought it was dislocated, but after seeing the doctor and getting xrays and ct scans i found out that i have a second degree AC seperation, plus ive got a huge tear in the suprastinatus (left side). the day before i woke up with my swollen arm my 3yr old son was playing around and accidentally fell on my left shoulder and the next day i wake up with a blood clot in my right arm. ive been healthy my whole life and am still healthy other than the above.  the doctors have looked into thorasic outlet syndrome  but i dont have that.

my questions are can a blood clot( or embolism) travel from one side of my body to the other?

now ive talked to my doctor about it and he said NO that itd be on the same side as my bad shoulder(left side) but it seems so weird to me that a totally healthy 23yr old guy gets in a car accident then 2.5 months later his son falls on that arm and next day he gets a random blood clot in the opposite side of his body...please help me out
> my questions are can a blood clot( or embolism) travel from one side of my body to the other?

yes

it's almost a trick question, since a clot would travel with blood flow from your injured shoulder to the right heart, then to the lungs where it would get trapped before it could ever reach the left heart and back out to the body.

But what if you have a PFO, a "hole in the heart" that would allow the unlikely but still possible event of a clot taking that shortcut?

Good thinking on your part, to suspect that it's possible. But just think what might have happened if the embolus had gone elsewhere - like brain or coronary arteries. I'd think about anticoagulation - and also any lifestyle changes that you can make pronto to reduce a tendency toward coagulation.