Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sudden Racing Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sudden Racing Heart

Yesterday,after dinner,I was in my PC at home and I was fine
What you describe sounds like palpitations which is the sensation of feeling your own heart beating. It is difficult to say whether or not you actually had premature beats,  another rhythm disturbance or a normal response to standing. Most likely this sudden increase in heart rate was due to your change postural position. Again, it is difficult to say for sure. If this happens again I would discuss this with your doctor and he/she may want to obtain a holter monitor study which records the heart beat over a prolonged period of time.

If you have 2 blood pressure readings >140/90 you are considered to have hypertension. I would discuss this with your doctor so that you may take steps control this problem and prevent it from leading to other complications.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
I've been in that situation many times - one minute heart rate is normal the next...its racing out of my chest, with palpitations, and I feel like I'm having hot flushes (its a little early for that!), its a very disconcerting feeling.  I put up with these episodes for years - I was almost convinced by my GP that these were panic attacks.  I had to be really melodramatic to get to see a heart specialist.  I think you need to rule out SVT first - a holter monitor and/or EP study would help.  I had a tilt table test which was positive so my episodes have been attributed to falls in blood pressure (which sometimes can be a little high also like yours).  Go to the ER next time, its embarrassing but has to be done.  Then at least you can get an ECG on the spot.  This will let you know if you are in sinus or not.  I wish you all the best - I know how disgusting that feeling is.
Thanks for your concern and answer. Is that condition in your case anything to really worry or not ? - Here in Portugal the ER aren't ususally a calm and nice place so, if we aren't really in a serious condition, we will stay there for hours waiting, exposed to not the best environment, so I was not thinking in rushing there for a simple condition. Of course, that my episode only was mainained for some min., if it was prolonged, of course, I would go there.