Heart Disease Community
Sudden increase in heart beat
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sudden increase in heart beat

This weird, never-want-to-face-again experience came when I smoked weed. After I smoked a joint, my mouth went dry and I had dry coughs. Then suddenly, I had this jolt in my chest, and my heart beat started to quicken rapidly. My head was spinning and I could not stand up stright. I never experienced a heart attack ever in my life but I thought at that moment I knew something was wrong. But I held it together and asked my friend to drive me to the nearest hospital. And the doc examined my blood, blood pressure, heart beat etc. I dont remember accurately but my heart beat was at about 130~140 beat/min which was well over 50~60 beats more than my normal heart beat. After about 3 hours wait, the doc said there were nothing unusual results from the test, he just thought the weed I smoked might have contained crystal meth or some sort. So I went back home with no prescriptions what so ever since he told me it would go away by morning. Like he said, everything was back to normal even though I had some tightness feeling in my chest for a few more days but other than that the symptoms were gone. However, recently, I've been experiencing similar symptoms despite being sober and free of any kind of drugs. Although the symptom level is not as severe as the night of my first incident and lasts shorter in a range of 1~10 minutes, it still gives me headaches and tightness in the chest area.
I am only 20 years old and I've been smoking for about 2 years now, but never had this kind of symptom ever until the last couple of months. Has this kind of incident happened to anyone in the past? and how seriously do you think it might be?
Related Discussions
Quit and never smoke again. I had never smoked weed and then I did for about 6 months about one joint 3 times per week. I had the same exact symptoms but did not quit about 2 months into smoking. Fast forward 4 months. I had my left arm freeze up on me and my heart beat sky rocketed to an insane amountof beats and I was frozen with fear,rushed to the hostpital in an ambulance and now 2 years later I am still battling with health problems due to my short smoking history. The weed that I smoked was not laced with anything accept my own stupidity. I used to run 10 miles 3 times aweek and was dreaming of running the all 3 major marathons . Now I clutch my chest and pray whenever I have to walk up stairs and experience major chest discomfort and sever headaches if I walk to fast. I had not ever smoked weed or taken any drugs before I started with the weed and do not and did not drink alcohol,ate and still do eat very healthily but it has not helped my symptoms. I was fine for months after that first initial bout that sounds earily like yours but did not heed my body's warning. I felt great and normal for months after my initial symptoms until it all hit me at once. STAY AWAY FROM THE MARIJUANA. I wish to god I had and am trying everything I can to regain my full health. I am 40. My heart races at the slightest thing sometimes I wake up out a dead sleep with it racing. VERY SCARY!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
212161_tn?1391090750
Blank
heartfluttersflyawayplz
hoschton, GA
Blank
skydnsr
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Freedom46 commented on photo
19 mins ago
Blank
Freedom46 commented on photo
22 mins ago
Blank
Freedom46 commented on I had no idea there w...
26 mins ago
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979