Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sudden onset of PVC's

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sudden onset of PVC's

38 yr old male with history of SVT.  I usually have an episode of SVT about twice a year.. so not that frequent.  I have had these symptons for about 8 years.  8 years ago I went through all the tests, saw a couple cardiologists and all my heart workups came out fine...   ECG, EKG... all came back normal.  They determined I had an accessory node that was more of an electrical short cut...   I notice that usually my SVT episodes start with a PVC flutter feeling...  if im on top of it I quickly cough and can avoid the SVT...

As of this morning I woke up to frequent flutters (im assuming PVC's)... happening from every 10 seconds... to every couple minutes or so.   I started a pretty heavy cardio excersise program about 5 days ago...   I use a heart rate monitor and keep myself in the range of 140 - 185bpm range during the workout for about 40 min...   Dont usually feel that many PVC's while exercising...  or many at all for that matter... until TODAY...   of course my stress level has been pretty high with work and the holidays approaching.  I am just trying to figure out if my excersise routine coupled with stress has my heart freaking out...   If the PVC's continue I will likely head back to the cardiologist and get the whole  work up done again... not looking forward to that.  ANy thoughts?   I do check my pulse and wait for an episode of these PVC's and its usually a pretty good rythm and then a sudden quick 4-6 beats... then back to normal rythm...   say normal (70bmp...   during the PVC it doubles).   Is it taking that shortcut node path for short bursts?   EVerytime I wore a holter monitor I couldnt get the SVT to kick in... so never went the ablation route...   Thanks in advance!
Tags: PVC
Sorry to hear you're having some difficulty.  If you are having frequent palpitations that have not been well explained, it is worth evaluating further.  Some arrhythmias require specific medications and, perhaps more importantly, avoiding some medications.  If you truly have an accessory pathway that is causing difficulty, you can discuss the idea of ablation with an electrophysiologist (cardiologist that deals with the electrical part of the heart).  I'm not sure that these are PVCs you're having.  They are usually isolated and rarely felt by patients.  If you are having several runs of palpitations, that is some type of arrhythmia.  Holter may not be the best test.  If you can feel these when they come on, ask your physician about an event monitor which records only when you have symptoms (you push a button).  Best of luck to you.