Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sudden raise in resting heart rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Sudden raise in resting heart rate

I'm female, age 36, very sedentary, 5'8", 186 lbs. BMI is in overweight but not obese category.

Since October 2011, I've been suffering with PVC's. Before this I had no issues. I  January 2012 I had a complete cardio work-up including a stress test and echo. Both were normal.

Last month I started seeing an electropsysiologist who put me on an event monitor for 30 days. Today is my last day on that. I've captured many PVC's but over the last days I've noticed that my heart would race after standing and today when I went to the doctors for something unrelated, triage said my heart rate was 120.

I chose not to have the EKG as I was wearing a monitor and just pushed that and recorded it and sent it off to cardionet who said it didn't qualify to call my EP immediately or anything. Throughout the rest of the day I haven't had my heart rate drop below 98. My doctors record of my heart rate was usually between 70 and 85 and now it's between 98 and 120. Even when its at 98 sitting on the couch, it raises when I get up to move about. I've also been very tired despite getting plenty of sleep, but not exactly out of breath or anything.

This is freaking me out. What could cause this all of a sudden? I have been under a great deal of stress, but I've been stressed in the past and never had this happen. An hour ago, when my heart was around 100bpm, I could feel little breathless feelings in my throat that I usually associate with PVC's but there are no PVC's since this started.

I'm extremely confused and worried. Should I be getting another cardio work-up? My next appt with my EP is on the 17th and today is the 9th, and he is out of town until the 17th.  Is this an emergency that I should get in sooner with someone else? Should I wait and see if it changes on it's own? Just worry this is a dangerous or life threatening sign.
The sudden rise in resting heart rate may reflect a number of things, and if it is sinus tachycardia (fast coming from the sinus node) as confirmed by cardionet, then there is typically an underlying, non-cardiac cause.

Sinus tachycardia is caused by pain, anxiety, dehydration, anemia, fever, or any other stressors. I doubt that this is inappropriate sinus tachycardia as that is a diagnosis of exclusion (meaning everything else has to be negative on work up) and persist for weeks to months. This would most likely fit with just sinus tachycardia, which is a normal body response to a stressor.

Advice would be to make sure you are well hydrated, check for fever and treat if present, if you have had recent bleeding for some reason have your blood level checked, and otherwise rest. Sinus tachycardia is not a cardiac emergency, so seeing your EP can wait. However, if you have one of the above listed things like anemia or fever that is persistent, then you should consult with your primary physician (not cardiologist) for work up to find the cause and treat it. With treatment of the underlying issue, the tachycardia will resolve.