Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sudden rapid heart beat for no apparent reason

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

For about 10 years now I have occasionally experienced my heart suddenly increasing it's beat for no apparent reason.  I can be sitting down relaxing and all of a sudden my heart starts racing (my last count was approximately 210+ bpm)  This can occur for up to 15 minutes at a time.  I sweat profusely and have a ache in the center of my chest near my throat.  
  After my heart slows back down, it aches and I experience a dull pain in my chest for an hour or so afterwards.
  I have been to my doctor numerous times and also to a cardiologist.  I have had an electrocardiogram done and have also worn a heart monitor for 24 hours.  They told me I have MVP and say it's normal.  It does not feel normal.  
  I need to know if there are any other tests that can be performed.  My biggest concern is that there is a different problem and I am not treating it properly.
  I also need to know what the most common causes for spells like this are.  Perhaps I am doing or eating something I can avoid. ????
  My recent attack was the first in about 2 years.
  Thank you in advance for your expertise.
  Sincerely
  Dave McCormick
Dear Dave
MVP is unlikely to be the cause unless you have significant leakage of your mitral valve. How aggressively to treat your tachycardia depends in part on its frequency. You could make an appointment to see a cardiac electrophysiologist. These are cardiologists who specialize in fast heart rates. Potentially, a procedure called an ablation could be performed to get rid of the tachycardia.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.