Heart Disease Expert Forum
Sudden spreading chest pain and lightheartedness?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

For the past couple of months I have been experiencing an odd sharp pain radiating from my chest  to my shoulders, neck, and jaw. The pain is very sudden and seems to only happen in the mornings when I take a hot shower. It only lasts for a few minutes, and it's bearable, but it's still pretty uncomfortable and I've never had anything like that before. This is allways before I eat, so I do't think my diet is causing it, and besides I usually eat decently healthily anyways (no fast foods, no caffeinated drinks, microwave dinners, etc...). And more recently I've been getting episodes of lightheartedness, nauseousness, dizziness, heart racing, inability to catch my breath, and just generally feeling like I was about to fall over. I had already eaten breakfast and lunch those days, and I definitely drink plenty of water, and I wasn't experiencing anxiety, exercising, or anything else to cause feeling that way... Also, I've noticed my heartbeat speed up and pound harder when ever I do simple things like lift up my cat. I'm 15 years old, about 115, 5'4, and have been pretty healthy thus far asides from a few broken bones. I don't even have asthma. I've told my doctor about all of these symptoms, and they've already ruled out lung problems, and said that more than likely more than one problem, but all the possible conditions had to relate to my heart in some way. (I do have a history of heart problems in my family) They've scheduled to perform some tests, (EKG's and possibly monitor my heart for a week or two to try and catch one of the episodes) but does anyone have any idea of what this could all be? Should I be more worried about this?
I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble.  Your symptoms may be consistent with a heart arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm, though there are several other possibilities.  Heart arrhythmias do occur in young patients and are often easy to treat.  I think the plan your doctor has suggested, including an ECG and heart monitor for a week, are very reasonable.  Make sure you inform your physician of any change in your symptoms, but for now don't stress too much.  Hope this helps!