Surgery or No Surgery?
My only daughter, Hannah was born with Tetralogy of Fallot.  She is now a little over a year old.  Her heart condition was diagnosed upon birth, and my husband and I were advised by the pedia-cardio that total correction via open heart surgery would be needed at age 2 or 3.

Because of the risks involved, my husband and I are wary about the open heart surgery.  Is there even the slightest possibility that the hole in the heart can close on its own, in the case of TOF?  Was there any TOF case in the past that the heart's hole closed on its own?  Is surgery the only way that TOF can be resolved?
My son has the symptoms of having this, but however he doesn't he has other heart issues. when he was born they said he had a HUGE hole in the bottom part of his heart and he would require surgery most likely by the time he was one. well he wen tinto heart failure when he was 2 months old and the cardiologist said he has to have it done VERY SOON. my little guy was just getting over a severe case of RSV and they wanted to wait til his lungs get stronger so the recovery would be easier and better for him.
at three onths of age he had his surgery. not only did he have the HUGE hole (his heart was the size of a walnut and the hole in the bottom part was the size of a dime) he had two other holes in hte upper part of his heart. they stitched the two in the upper part of his heart (they said theat if he didn't have hte one in the bottom they wouldn't  have done surgery) they put a patch over the hole in the bottom part of his heart. it took 2 years for the hole to be completely closed (he had some small pin holes around the patch nothing major) he is still having cardiac issues.
But prior to his surgery I was very very scared that I would not see my son again. with the support of the visitng nurses and his primary care doctr saying these doctors know what they are doing they specialize in this every day, I don't know what my husband and I would have done. It is scary for you to have to put your most precious little one through heart surgery, but this will help her. I am not sure if the hole will close if the doctor are saying it won't then chances are it isn't going to. Please give your little one a hug and hope that things will be okay.
The cardiac surgeon shold meet with you prior to the surgery. Our cardiac doctor was not the same person who did his surgery. our cardiac doctor is 2 hours from us and the surgeron is 5 hours. he never meet our son until the day prior to his surgery, that is very scary knowing oyu have to trust someone with the life of your child.
I guess what I am trying to say is she will be okay. good luck
Michelle
Dear Michelle,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.  I can just imagine what your family went through during those times.  I wish my husband and I will also have the strength that you had when my daughter undergoes surgery.

Your son is really brave.  I hope he's doing ok now.  

May I ask how long was the recovery period after the surgery?  Any tips of do's and dont's?

Best regards,
Yalena