Heart Disease Community
Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Surgery

My 8 eight year old son is scheduled to have surgery.  We have found out he has an innocent heart murmur.  Should he take antibiotics as a cautionary?  What should a parent be aware of with this condition and are there related complications with surgery?
Sorry that your little has to have surgery.  My son (he is 6 but luckily is used to hospitals because I spend half my life in one) shattered his elbow and upper arm ealier in the year and need two big surgeries to get him sorted, if there is a hell then it is the waiting part.  Kids are so resilient they bounce back quickly from this sort of thing but any surgery carries a risk.  We looked up as much info as we could on the Internet and how kids tolerate that environment, bought him a couple of "being in the hospital" type stories, a book with all the different body bits and bones which you can build together and then take appart again.  The best thing for him though was we bought him a stuffed dog to watch over him both in the theatre and in the ward.  To this day the stuffed dog and our son are inseperable.  Who cares if people think its childish, if it makes them feel better then go for it.  My final suggestion is to either get a portable DVD player or a Laptop for him to play on and that he can watch DVD's on.  I have been in hospital now for nearly a month and I can say for sure that without this laptop I would have gone mental by now.

Oh yes your main question, I'm certain they will give him IV anti-biotics to prevent infection.  He will be a bit out of it at first but once he's getting better they will remove the IV and put him on oral anti-biotics if they think he needs them.

My heart goes out to you.  But I'm sure you will soon have a very happy and healthy little 8 year old running you ragged again,  Be strong and don't say NO to any help which is offered to you.  If people want to help you out with food and house stuff let them, it makes them feel good to be able to help you and it will also give you some time to just chill here and there.  Most importantly don't get caught in a guilt trap.  Moms do this a lot, and it is pointless, just accept the help which is offered and keep your strength and courage up.