Heart Disease Expert Forum
Swelling in left arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Swelling in left arm

I got a pacemaker in mid-June on the left side.  After the initial swelling subsided, I noticed my left arm was swollen and the left side of my neck and the back of my left should were tight and stiff.  That continues now two months after the procedure.  I had a doppler ultrasound on Thursday that revealed no clots.  My electrophysiologist saw me and said, "I see that it is swollen." (The forearm and bicep are uniformly about an inch larger on the left side.)  "I don't think there's anything to worrry about because it takes the other veins a while to take over."  Huh? He did say he sees this only about 5 percent of the time he puts in pacemakers.  He said we should wait a month and if it's still swollen we'll do a venogram.  But why wait a month?  It's been 2 months and the swelling continues.  I find myself rubbing with my arm, neck and back of my shoulder all the time.  Do you think we should do the venogram now?  What do you think might be causing this swelling and discomfort?  Should I be worried about this?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
You should have the venogram done as soon as possible.  There is still a possibility of there being a blood clot if so you will need to be treated with coumadin.  Otherwise, the wires may have caused an obstruction in the vein and your body will form new vessels over time to bypass that area.  The swelling will go down at that point.  Try to keep your arm elevated as much as you can.  
Regarding the above post:  1.  I am already on Plavix because of a stent I had put in in May.  2.  The veins in my arm are quite pronounced.  3.  I am 54, a runner and generally in great health.  It's just this arm deal.  Thanks...