Heart Disease Expert Forum
Swelling of the legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Swelling of the legs

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in February.  I have only one kidney and the doctors don't know why I have high blood pressure.  The reason I am writing is that I have been swelling in my legs and the doctors don't know why.  I was looking at a few websites and they said it could be do to a woman's menstrul period and during that time during the month she will swell is this true?  Because the swelling does go down after my period and comes back a week before the next one.  If the article I read is correct what can I do about it, because it is really embarising.
Thanks for reading my question and please respond.
Dear Hannah

The swelling could be due to kidney problems, and this ought to be investigated. As a side effect of certain medications, swelling can also occur in the legs.  It may be related to your periods also, as you have stated. Such leg swelling can be treated by elevating your legs or wearing tight stockings while you stand, and also to minimize periods of standing.

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.

Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Just had a stent put in a completely blocked artery was started.