Heart Disease Expert Forum
T Wave Abnormalities

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

T Wave Abnormalities

I just received a copy of an ECG I had done in Sept 1998. The preliminary report was "borderline ECG" and the final interpretation was "Abnormal ECG". There was normal sinus rhythm and Nonspecific Anterior T abnormalities. When compared to an ECG taken in 1986 there was minimal T wave change. I have been told by many that abnormalities like this are usually no problem. So, in this case, that would mean that calling the ECG "abnormal" was not something to be concerned about?   The numbers given are PR (174), QRSD (81), QT (372), QTc (421).  What kind of situations are there where T wave abnormalities are significant? Thank you.
In general T-wave abnormalities by themselves without chest pain symptoms are considered benign.  Are they normal? No.  Are they something that doctors get worried about? No.  If they are accompained by chest pain then doctors consider heart disease a higher probability.
This is an addition to my question. Hope you see it before you answer the first question. In March 1985 I had a major viral infection complicated by a strep throat. I'm not sure if the delay in treating the strep throat was enough to cause problems. It was several weeks after this I developed joint arthralgias. At that time my ASO Titer was 166. The first EKG referred to in the above question was done one year later in 1986, when apparently the nonspecific T wave abnormalities first showed up, although I never had an EKG before this one was done.  Is it possible this previous infection could have caused these abnormalities? Somewhere I read that sometimes viral infections are responsible for T wave abnormalities. I have had a reoccurrence of some of the rheumatological symptoms and have an appointment with the rheumatologist in Feb. In a previous question about the possibility of Behcet's disease causing vasculitis of the coronary arteries, you indicated my symptoms were more likely to be CAD. I'm wondering if all of this could be tied together, or are my nonspecific T wave abnormalities really not significant? I plan to bring this up with the rheumatologist (my pcp has already told me the abnormalities are not significant) but I'm curious what a cardiologist might say. Thank you for your time.
i also had a ekg which showed st depression. i had the ekg because of chest, left shoulder and neck pain. i also have lightheadedness and occasional shortness of breath, and palpitations (pvc's and psvt). i also was told thaat it was insignificant without further workup by my internist or referral to a cardiologist.  go figure, huh!
I too was told an inverted T wave was not abnormal by an er doctor and an internist.  That was twelve years and eight heart attacks ago.  The last three heart attacks were only two weeks ago and once again I was first sent home by my cardiologist (a new one due to a relocation) and made to feel like the chest pain was "all in my head."  A day later I was in the er in the middle of a heart attack.  I have Printzmetal's Disease.  In the er I asked for a different cardiologist to be called, one that would take my history into consideration and not treat me like a bored female looking for attention.  This doctor saw the spasming arteries during the angiogram and the damage from previous heart attacks but.  I have never smoked, am not overweight, and I am very active.  I am forty-one now but the first cluster of heart attacks occured when I was twenty-nine!  
I guess doctors aren't immune from stereotyping their patients!
Good Luck!
I was diagnosed with Prinzmetal's at 19 and have had huge issues with pain.  My doctor now thinks it may be syndrome X.  I am interested in hearing from others with Prinzmetal's or syndrome X especially women or young people.  So far my labs have been good in the ER but the doctors rarely take me seriously either.
I have been diasgnosed with microvascular angina (syndrome x-cardiac) from a doppler flow test done during an angiogram.  EKGs have been progressive...indicating at least two heart attacks at this time.  I have never been told I had a heart attack during a trip to an ER.  During an "incident" I know I have depressed ST waves, but now the last two session in cardiac rehab have shown inverted T waves.  Both of these sessions were accompanied by angina....the last put me in the ER for about 8 hours waiting for a bed.  I finally talked my way out when they didn't have a bed available for admission.  I would like to understand the significance of inverted t waves and if it's something to just ignore, or if I should look for ways of changing my angina management.
I also have inverted T waves...I have long QT, but inverted T waves are not associated with long QT.  My cardiologist has never been concerned...who knows.