Heart Disease Community
Tachycardia, Atenolol and Getting Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hello everyone (:

My husband and I want to try for baby #4 and I have a couple of concerns.  Firstly, I am still having tachycardia both in the middle of the night while asleep (I wake up with heart racing) and then once I'm up in the  morning.  My tachycardia ranges 110-130 and then goes down (usually after I eat and take my Atenolol) and I don't have a problem the rest of the day.  I am taking Atenolol 12.5mg 2 times a day.  My concern is being on the Atenolol while pregnant.  I've read some scary things and some very positive things about using this beta blocker while pregnant.  I don't want to cause any damage to my unborn baby (:  

Also, how concerned should I be about the tachycardia while pregnant?  I realize it most likely will worsen a bit because of all the extra blood volume and I'm expecting more pac's and pvc's too.  I just want to feel I'm not going to 1. hurt my baby if I get pregnant on Atenolol and 2. feel healthy and not have complications from tachy, palps while pregnant.  Anyone have some advice for me?  I'd also have to have another c-section which causes tachycardia for me during the surgery.  I'd really appreciate anyone's insight and hope you're all doing well (:  Best wishes!

momto3girls (:
Well I know when I was on atenolol and wanted to get pregnant again the doctor told me that I should go off it so I really don't know what to think.  I went off it and got really the same PVC's and tachycardia when I was pregnant but just tired to not let it bother me.  I am always leary about being on meds while pregnant.  Better safe than sorry.  I don't know if you could put up with the tachy and palps then I would be tempted to go off it (just my opinion).  WOW four kids!  Good for you.  
Hello...Just thought I'd drop in to let you know there are two "momto3's" on the boards.  I am "momto3" and the other mom is "momto3girls."  Momto3girls is asking about a pregnancy.  Three is it for me...lol!  

BTW, Best of luck Momto3girls.  Hmmmm...this could mean a new screen name...momto3girlsandaboy, momto4girls...or....let's not even think about multiples : 0
I'd love for my screen name to read...momto3girlsandaboy!  Not that I don't love my girls but I'd love to at least try for a boy (:  My husband is of course in total and complete agreement!  He's always saying there's too much estrogen in the house.  I'd love multiples since I love love love babies!  Take care!

momto3girls (:
You all are such bunch of sweeties (:  Thanks for all your thoughts and recommendations.  I've been trying to fight down the enormous desire I have for another baby but it's no use!  My 3rd daughter is almost 4 and I'm ready to cuddle another newborn.  I just don't feel like we're done having kids yet.  They are a great joy and yes, kitcurious, I love to see them experiencing the world around them.  They're more fun and entertaining than TV!  Bless you all and best wishes to you and your families (:  Take care!

momto3girls
Yes, babies are the most wonderful people.  It's so exciting to watch them experience the world because it is all brand new to them!!

Are your doctors good allies when working out how to manage your tachy during pregnancy? Having a good heart rate is in the interest of both mom and baby, so I am sure they will want to work to make sure you have a great outcome.

Good luck to you. :-)
I took Toprol XL throughout my last pregnancy and all went well.  I took a tiny dose (like it seems you do of Atenolol) and my doctor said there was virtually no risk to the baby.
I have a highly unusual case. I had a sudden cardiac arrest at 21 and they couldn't find any damage to my heart or any cause. they determined my heart goes into an arrythmia/tachacardia (sp??)when it hits the high 100's. But I've never had any other episodes.  Since that time I've been on a low dose beta blocker. I'm now 36 and desperately want to get pregnant, but my doctor says it's uncharted territory. At your own risk! I'm trying to find anyone who can relate. Help??