Heart Disease Community
Tachycardia and High Blood Pressure at age 22

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm 22 and have been experiencing high bp since age 20 (that I know of) and Tachycardia since age 21. I didn't develop high bp until have a surgery on my Left Kidney when I was 18. I am currently taking HCTZ 12.5 to control this. Sometime after I turned 21 I began to experience tachycardia that would wake me up at night (150-170 bpm). I was put on toporol xl 12.5 to help control this as well. I have not had a night episode since then.
Within the past year I began experiencing tachycardia when I would eat, walk around, get slightly stressed, everything. I felt out of breath and stressed constantly, and I'm a pretty laid back person. I started eliminating things out of my diet, hoping my symptoms were just caused by a food senstivity. I tried low salt-seemed to work a little, then I cut out all meat and it seemed to help a lot. Is there any reason that eating a vegetarian diet would help my tachycardia and make me feel less stressed? I also stopped drinking alcohol because it seemed to be related to my tachycardia as well.
This is weird, I know there is something wrong but no one can seem to figure out what. My other symptoms inclue Raynauds phenom., brittle nails, hip pain, anxiety, heart palpitations. I think I am fairly healthy, I'm not over weight (112lbs and 5'4), I get a fair amount of excerise.
They gave me a blood test for lupus- came back negative, check my thyroid several time, that was fine. I'm beginning to eat less and less because when I eat a lot I feel bad, which is making me lose more weight. I feel like there is a ball in my stomach that is pushing on my heart--sounds weird but that is the only way I can describe it. When I bend at the waist I experience heart palpitations.
If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to share them.
I would consider  a work-up for pheochromocytoma (tumor that secrets substances that increase blood pressure)--raynaud's can be associated with many things but i would certainly see a primary care physician. It sounds like you need a thorough physical examination and possibly further evaluation with a cardiologist. You may need further evaluation to determine what rhythm you are having when your heart rate is fast-- definitely get this evaluated asap.
Sorry to hear about your feeling bad.   I think a good Internal Medicine Doctor could start the ball rolling.  Heart palpitations aren't usually serious.  But to be sure it is just palpitations you could request to have a 30 day holter heart monitor - its a small device - that I hooked onto my pant waist.  So when I got an 'event' (fast beat) - I would push a button on the device and it recorded the heart beat that I had just had (event)..   Then I would phone it into a office and they could look at it and see what type of heart beat it was.   You know you can describe it over and over - but until you can get it on the monitor - they would just be guessing.  A heart monitor is the best way to find out for sure.    

Now some doctors can 'read' an ekg and tell you what is happening - or they send your ekg to an Electrophysciologist - which is an expert in the electrical part of a heart.  They are great to have.  I call mine - my 'electrician'.   They know every beat imagineable and probably where it originates from in your heart.  Alot of beats are not a problem - but some are a problem and need a specialist who specializes in that area of the heart..  So the more knowledge you have of your diagnosis the better you can ask questions.
Best Wishes
Marilyn      
I visit a board for Raynauds patients and one thing they stress is you should visit a rheumatologist. I'm happy to hear you don't have lupus but have you been checked for scleroderma? It may not just be one thing but a couple things causing all the symptoms. I do hope you get some answers soon. Take care.
Just a follow up to this question.
almost 5 years later I continue to have the same symptoms. I do feel much better now that I am very very careful to avoid SULFITES. I stopped the hctz and take 25 mg of toprol. Had a baby and did have some issues with my heart rate and blood pressure for a couple months after delivery. I think an allergy to sulfites explains quite a few of my issues, but not everything.