Heart Disease Expert Forum
Tachycardia and pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Tachycardia and pregnancy

I just recently found out that I am pregnant with my first child.  I was diagnosed with SVT about 3 years ago.  Two ablation have been attemtped with no success.  I am currently taking 50mg of Atenolol a day.  Is there any problems associated with taking this medication while pregnant?  Also is there anything else that I should be concernced about during my pregnancy and having this condition?
When beta blockers have been used in pregnancy, metoprolol and propranolol have been used more often than atenolol. These beta blockers have been used successfully during pregnancy, though your child should be monitored closely around the time of delivery. The beta blockers can have adverse affects on the fetus in terms of development in some animal studies. Pindolol and acebutalol are considered by the FDA to be even safer, but this is all on the basis of animal studies. Pregnancy, and the stresses associated with it, can sometimes make SVTs flare up. Also, it is often recommended not to breastfeed while taking beta blockers as they can cause the baby's heart rate to slow down. You ought to sit down and talk with both your cardiologist and obstetrician about these issues.
I have not been able to post here for the last three days so forgive me for posting this here . It always says the area is full for the day .

The above was a diagnosis for a 16 year old female in our family. The Doctor's have said they only know of two other cases like hers and the mothers of the two had lupus during pregnancy .I have been able to search out and read each diagnosis singularly but nothing in a case study concerning all of the three. Can someone tell me anything or point me in a direction to find some information ? Lots of heart problems within this family also . This young girls father had a pacemaker put in in his twenties . Thank you , Loretta Dawson
So sorry , this didn't work out quite like I planned !~
To Sheri, regarding comment by Dr. DLB :

Regarding postpartum issues, such as breastfeeding, I have SVT and breastfeed my 8 month old son.  Although my family doctor discouraged me from continuing to breastfeed, I consulted with a pediatrician, lactation consultant and pharmacist before making my final decision to discontinue or continue breastfeeding.  The beta blocker I am on, Toprol XL 25mg/day, is approved by the American Academy of Pediatric Medicine for breastfeeding mothers.  Propranolol is another approved beta blocker.  I don't want to take unnecessary chances with the health of my baby by introducing a drug to him through my breast milk, but I feel confident that the amount he may receive is miniscule.  We have noticed no discernable effects in him at all - no brachacardia (misspelled, I'm sure).  I would really do my homework if I were you and find a safe-for-pregnancy and safe-postpartum beta blocker.  I'm certain there's one available.  As doctor DLB suggested, ask your OB;  also, maybe a lactation consultant and pharmacist could offer some helpful feedback.  Good luck!
I took atenolol through two pregnancies (I did not breast feed, however) and both babies were perfectly healthy.  I tried to not take it, but I felt so terrible with the tachycardia I had to. Good luck.
For Sheri re: pregnancy

The Information you have recieved so far is good. However, you should attempt a consult with a neonatoligist prior to delivery.

A neonate is defined as " from conception, to 21 days of age". Neonatology is still considered a new science by many and you should consider this consult, an important part of your decision process.
When I was pregnant with my last child 8 years ago. I had been having SVT, for many years, during those years I had been on all of the beta blockers from time to time. When the Cardiologist discovered I was pregnant again I was taken off the beta blockers and just kept on Digoxin.. I was alright until 5mths into my pregnacy when I had another attack of SVT,s for which I was hospitilized in cardiac care. After my heart going at 180-239bpms for 10hrs, I was given 1 tablet of Inderal which by coincedence or not??? I reverted to sinus rhythum after this my digoxin was increased to 250mcgs plus a PG dose of 62.5mcgs in the evening and 62.mcgs in the morning. I did not have another attack for the rest of my pregnancy. I contributed this to the fact that my progesterone levels were higher after 5 months and I felt alot better mentally and physically and my Digoxin levels were higher. I ended up having a ceaserian section, as all my other children were also, no problems with general anethesia. I did have another episode 4 days after delivery which I put to the fact of plunging hormones. I'm back down to 250mcgs per day. I have this dose about 10pm. I was also breast feeding for 9months while still taking Digoxin I'm not sure whether this had an effect on my youngest son as there has not been enough research done He gets a little puffed and is not into sports and is not as strong as we would like but no one can say maybe the digoxin has contributed who knows!!???
but as a general rule I think while you are pregnant you will get less if any SVT's if you take it easy. I found I had no good results while taking the Beta Blockers and only found relief from the Digoxin over the years...
I am 14 weeks pregnant and on 50mg Atenolol daily.  I went off of it for the first trimester and recently went back on it.  While off of the atenolol I experience atrial fibrillation and tachycardia.  My OBGYN was very confident in putting me back on the beta-blockers in the second trimester.  I feel 100% better!  Any advice on whether or not breastfeeding while on Atenolol could be any more questionable than taking it while pregnant?  I plan to breastfeed and being off Atenolol makes me a stressed out mess. My doc anticipates no problem.   ???????????????
My 11 year old daughter went to the ER with a pulse rate of 213.  It is the 4th time this has happened but the first 3 only lasted about 7 minutes.  After 40 minutes, when I got her to the hospital they gave her medicine immediately to bring pulse rate down.  Supraventricular Tachycardia.  Can someone tell me where to study this?  Thanks for any help!
Does any one know if it is safe to have renal angioplasty while pregnant. I have 90 percent blockage on both sides of the renal arteries and having very high B/P, unable to be controlled by medications any suggestion please help. tammy
I am 6 months pregnant and had a recent episode of svt - 170-200bpm for over an hour -was administered two doses of Andenosine and problem was solved.  However, the cardiologist has recommended medication and ablation after birth. He informed me that I could go into arrest during labour and have to have my heart shocked.  This scares me big time - Does this mean my life is at risk?? Or my baby's?  What are the chances of arrest happening?

Thanks,
I'm 28 years old and was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a few months ago.  I'm taking atenalol and digoxin.  My heart goes into a fib about 3 times a month starting in the evening and lasts until I get up the next day.  The meds have not helped my heart not go into it but it does keep it at a reasonable heart rate. (it used to go over 200 beats a minute)  I want to get pregnant in a couple of months but was wanting to hear different experiences of other women.  My obgyn said that atenalol is toxic to the fetus.  I'm wondering if the episodes increase during pregnancy and how much.  Also, I want to breast feed and was wondering if anyone else was successful on the meds.
I'm 24 years old and have svt along with daily pvcs.I've had many tests done and was told that besides that  my heart is healthy.  I take 25mg. of Atenolol, which controls the svt really well.  Now I only get a small attack once a year, compared to just about everyday without the med.  I still do get pvcs everyday, but I was told not to worry about them, which I'm not b/c I know how worrisome they can be, and I've found that worrying about them brings them on more.  I plan on getting pregnant for the first time in a few months, but having the svt scares me, esp. the thought of having an attack during delivery.
Would it be dangerous to have an attack during delivery, or anytime while pregnant?? Any info. would be great.  I also plan on taking med. while pregnant.  My doctor and my Aunt who is a mid wife both agree that switching to the  beta blocker Labetolol is very safe.
It doesn't seem like many people have answers here. I am in the 2nd trimester of my first pregnancy and Atenolol has been given to me for tachycardia. I refuse to take it. I have done research and every site I have been on says the drug is toxic to the fetus. I looked on the American Academy of Pediatrics as another person has mentioned and found some alternative drugs that are safe while breast feeding but have not found much info on whether these alternatives are safe during pregnancy. All I know, I am NOT taking Altenolol. I am furious my OB would prescribe this drug to me when there are alternative medicines.