Heart Disease Community
Tachycardia during and after vomiting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Tachycardia during and after vomiting

Hi, all - I am just getting over a pretty bad bout of stomach flu.  The thing I DREAD most about it (even more than the yucky throwing up) is the tachycardia that comes on when I feel like I'm going to vomit (like that feeling of your mouth watering, like it's definitely going to happen and you'd better run for the bathroom - when that starts then my heart starts beating really fast!).  It beats pretty fast when that is going on.  Also, after I throw up my heart rate is pretty fast (I'd guesstimate 150) for a while.  Why is this?  Is it something to worry about?  Maybe SVT triggered by vomiting?  I usually take a BB and Xanax and it calms down, though my HR is elevated even right now (only about 90 bpm though).  I have been drinking electrolyte solution and don't think it's dehydration but I do have a low grade temp.  Anyone else have similar experiences and/or want to comfort this hypochondriac?  :)
do you have svt? I know that vomitting can terminate an svt episode, and i once read that usually anything that stops an svt can also trigger an svt. A heart rate of 150 bpm is probably not svt just sinus tach.
When i am ill and have a temperature my heart rate increases very quickly. My resting rate usually goes from 55-60bpm to about 120 bpm! Just sitting up causes my heart rate to go upto 150 -160 bpm when i am ill.
No, I don't have SVT - just sinus tach according to all the monitors I've ever had.  I have the same experience of as long as I'm lying down my HR is fine but as soon as I sit up it goes way up, too.  Thanks for answering my post!
SB786.  Did you receive my email??  :)  Not sure about the '0' is it the number '0' or the letter 'O'??

FEARFACTOR.  But if you have stomach flu or anyother type of cold or flu then your pulse rate will always go up - just to add to the problems eh?  I had a real bad dose of quinsy approx 6 weeks ago and I had a fever to go with it, my resting pulse rate never went below 120.  Check with your Doc if your not sure, but mine did say that fever and high pulse go together.
I know exactly what you're talking about.  If I'm about to be sick and my digestive system is involved, look out. I just had that happen about a week ago.  UGH!  Beside the nause and/orstomache ache, I get the pounding,racing heart and the panic feeling.  I have no idea what my pulse is, but it feels pretty fast and it's pounding.  If the bout lasts any length of time, as in the case of the flu, I also use a BB and Xanax.  Seems to help in those situations.

Hope you're feeling better.

Connie
Hiya! yes i received you email and i replied. hope you got my email :)
I had my share of vomiting while pregnant...to the point I was hospitalized.  I had increased heart rates exactly as you describe during and shortly after.  Taking slow deep breaths through your nose and out your mouth, counting to four each way, helps bring that down.  Be watchful of too much sport drink, it can make matters worse.  Get plenty of water, but try to consume natural electrolytes now that you're feeling better (bananas, green veggies).

As for SVT, I have it, and I've never had an episode under 170 bpm.  150 is typically just sinus tach to the best of my knowledge.
YES - those are my symptoms exactly!  I am feeling OK, certainly better than last night but I am at work right now and just really need a good nap!  Thanks for asking!
tachycardia is a common physiological response to nausea.. Also, feeling palpitations, or kind of a funny ot strained beat, during and after vomitting is normal..It has the same effect that bearing down does, it sometimes "resets" the heart, like bearing down will stop an SVT attack..
Thanks, everyone - now, the next time this happens (which it inevitably will as we have little kids who seem to pick up every virus!) I won't be so scared!
every time I sit at the computer i feel like I will vomit. When i stand up I began to feel fine. I took a heart scan and a neck scan and it showed I have some problems in the right side of my neck. I live in china and I cannot find any one to explain this to me. The Ultra sound showed the right side was far different than the left side of my neck.

I am a heart patient with three stints and an enlarged heart. My heart grew again from 38 to 40 please tell me what all this means. Robert hayes at ***@****
what is BB?
I've been dealing with this since 1996, anytime I vomit I get bad heart palpitations that has me always go to the ER and then its explaining I am not on cocaine and staying at least 36 hours. I'm 37 now so I can see the doctors point of view, I don't even drink alcohol just to not put myself in a situation where I become nauseous, I've seen multiple cardiologist and they refuse to put me on medication for the rest of my life for what I get, in the past 16 years I've thrown up twice where I did not get the palpitations...I wish there was a cure :(