Heart Disease Expert Forum
Tattoos And Piercings

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Tattoos And Piercings
Hi My Name is Cedra and I have tricuspid atresia and im turning 18 on October 30th, 2013. For my birthday i want to go get a nose piercing and a tattoo, but my mon thinks its not a good idea. Ive gotten 3 tattoos, and 3 ear piercings prior to my birthday, but those were secretly done. I had no antibiotics prior to those piercings and tattoos, and im just fine. I understand its a risk of infection but its to my understanding that tattoos and piercings arent a big procedure, to where im going to need antibiotics, unlike a dental visit. I would really like someone to get back to me as soon as possible! Thank you.
Hi Cedra,
The risk of having a bloodstream infection and subsequent infective endocarditis in the setting of your tricuspid atresia with getting tattoos and piercings is incredibly small (i.e., you do not need to take prophylactic antibiotics to do so).  If you have had valve replacements or a prior history of bacterial endocarditis, then it will be a good idea to touch base with your physician prior to any procedures (even if minor ones like anything other than routine dental work).  Hope that helps.