Temporary Loss of Vision in Eye
Hi, Last year I had two episodes of temporary loss of vision in my eye.  It was like a curtain came down and I could not see out of that eye for around 10 minutes.  I did not have a headache.  I went in for an eye exam and everything looked good.  I then went to my Internist and she had me go in for a Carotid Ultrasound.  That also came back normal.  The doctor labeled it Amaurosis fugax and told me to stay on a daily baby aspirin.  I am a 56 year old female and I have a history of Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Enlarged Aorta.  

After reading an article regarding the relationship of brain aneurysms, bicuspid aortic valves and enlarged aortas, I am wondering if we looked far enough.  The Bicuspid Aortic Foundation has a member who had a CT Scan of her head and they did not find anything.  After having another CT Scan with Contrast and having a Neurologist read it, they found an aneurysm behind her eye and had to operate.  My question is, When I go in for my annual Echo this year at the University of Minnesota, should I also be asking them to do a CT scan with contrast of my head?  Thanks!
I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. Several years ago I was at work and just lost vision in my left eye. No pain. It was just like someone flashed a bright light in my eye and the vision went dark gray. It also took about 10 minutes to clear which was  gradual, not sudden. I went in, had my eye checked but all was fine. I haven't had it happen since so I never followed up with any other tests. I guess it wasn't too critical in my case because I've been fine ever since.
This exact same thing happened to my daughter when she was ten. She was sitting at the table eating breakfast when she said she lost vision in one of her eyes; she described it as a curtain coming down. Her cardiologist said the type of heart disease she had would not cause a stroke which is what that that sounded like. She had, and still has trouble with words dropping out of sentences when she reads ect. Three years later (about the age of 13) we saw a neurologist who confirmed she had had a stroke in the occipital area of the brain. Turned out that her heart disease was not the culprit; she had a bleeding coagulopathy which caused the stroke. Occasionally she would still have TIAs; she did until she had a heart transplant and stents put in. Now she is on blood thinners. I would definately mention this to the doctors on your next appointment. You may be having TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) which could lead to a full blown stroke.
Thanks for the information.  I did also send this to the expert's site for an opinion, but I haven't heard back yet.  I am definitely going to ask if they can do the scan.  I just don't know if I need support information to back up my request.
The symptoms are somewhat concerning although not cause for panic, the symptoms are not typically associated with brain aneurysm,

Good that you have commenced aspirin,

Amaurosis is a warning sign, a form of TIA and needs to be taken seriously, would probably consider an echocardiogram to assess and compare aorta,

Do you have heart palpitations ? atrial fibrillation can be associated,
I am on simvastatin for high cholestrol and a low dose of Metoprolol to keep blood pressure low (just for prevention not high blood pressure).  Very few heart palpitations since starting these meds and no atrial fibrillation.
Statin and aspirin is appropriate,

A carotid US is not adequate work up for amaurosis, although it is reassuring you have no carotid disease,

A CT scan is a definite, 1 to ensure no underlying problem 2 to make sure no silent strokes, also need lab tests to rule out systemic disease such as arteritis/vasculitis, and also reasonable to look at aorta as mentioned above,

http://myheartnet.wordpress.com
FYI, one of the foremost experts on BAV is at Mayo Clinic, Dr. Thoralf Sundt.