Heart Disease Expert Forum
Terril

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Terril

In August started waking up with periodic stabbing chest pains.  September 19th I went to the ER, was hospitalized overnight did an EKG & stress test, all came back fine.  Started getting SOB and the heart pain was lessening, but once again on October 19th ended up in the hospital.  They did an EKG, x ray and sent me home.  December 1st started getting really bad chest pains, went to ER did EKG, told me to see Psychologist (heart never hears when I am at the Doctors).

I am sitting here at work right now, horrible chest pains (which I have been waking up with for over 2 weeks now).  Feel like I am out of my body.  Feel like the walls are caving in, feel dizzy.  Do I head off to the ER again?

I am femals, 48 years old, 5'4".  Weight 161 - have gained 33 lbs since February. Am not stressed out (except for the fact that I have not felt good since August).  I did have acid reflux years ago so did think that this problem was because of that and have taken Prilos OTC since August.  My blood pressure was 140/90 the last time I was at the Doctors and I know that my bad cholosterol (sp) is 240.  I also have been working out at a gym for the past 4 months.  

Lastly,  I did just find out that I am carrying the gene for the disorder Anklylosing Spondylitis.  My Father has an extreme case of it.  I don't know yet if I have the disease, just know that I am a carrier.  Could this have anything to do with the Unstable Angina?

AS may afect you heart valves and ascending aorta, so you need to have an echocardiogram and/or CT scan of the chest done to rule out both problems. You should see a rheumatologist that can definitively diagnose you or rule out AS in the meantime.
I am not sure this is unstable angina. I have not been involved in your care, but the pain does not sound typical for that. It sounds more like a panic attack, but naturally without actually examining you and reviewing your labs/films/ekgs I can't be sure. At you age a stress test can be performed if you cardiac injury markers are negative, and if negative should be reassuring to you. If positive, then a catheterization is probably in order, provided the above mentioned tests are normal.
I  am sufferer of Ankylosing spondylitis and it has caused me severe chest pains on occasion where I had to be rushed to the ER, each time I was given the usual blood work and ekg just to be on the safe side , its hell to live with and now my chest pain is usually constant, plus the dreaded PVCs paid me a visit today about the worst bout I had in 6 years, luckily they didn't last long. Hope u feel better soon.