Heart Disease Expert Forum
Thalium stress test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Thalium stress test

Dear doctor:

I was sent to have a Thalium stress test performed. The reason for this test was because I was having irregular heart rythems. The test showed there was nothing wrong. my question is, I have been getting worse ever since I had this test performed. I now have no feeling in my feet and not much in my hands. I do feel some type of feeling deep in my feet and lower les but it is more like a thud or thump feeling. I was very active until this test was performed on me. Is there any reason the stress test could have brought this ongoing condition to keep getting the best of me. I was recently disabled by goverment selected doctors after they found that my extremities woul not react to hot or cold. I am concerned and would appreciate any responce if you have time.

Sincerly
                                     Geoff
Hi Geoff,

It sounds like more of a neurologic problem to me.  There does not seem to be any blockages in the heart to be causing your symptoms.  You may need to see a neurologist to get to the bottom of things.
Is there any chance of getting thallium poison If I remember right there was a family near here who was poisoned and some of them died from thalium
Thallium is a nucler tracer and in the small amounts it is used medically there is no harm.  In very large quantities there may be some detrimental side-effects.
Is the stress test that uses technitium the same as the thallium stess test?
Not exactly the same but similar.
what is the difference between a stress test and a thalium stress test. what additional features is thalium stress test supposed to demonstrate vs regular stress test.
I am a 49 year old male with no family history of heart disease.
I do not smoke, am 6ft. tall and about 195 lbs.  My cholesterol
is 115.  For the past month I have experienced some light-headed-
ness along with some stomach/chest discomfort.   (I had  a
pre-ulcerous stomach condition about 5 years ago with an irritated esophagus and gastritis.  If I had not been experiencing the light-headedness and the chest discomfort had not been a little
higher up than before, I would attribute the chest discomfort to
my stomach.)  I just had an EKG which was normal.  My Internist sent me to a Cardiologist who then wanted me to do a Thallium stress test and an eckocardiogram.  (I also had a brain CAT scan which turned out normal.)   The Eckocardiogram was fine, but the nurse
called to say that my thallium stress test indicated there is some slower blood flow to two areas of my heart and said the
doctor wants me to have a catheritization.   She said that I am
at Moderate Risk...I told her that I want to see the doctor again
and talk to him before I make such a serious decision.

Also, the doctor put me on Tagamet which I have been taking for
my stomach
a couple of weeks ago and I feel much better with the exception
of the light-headedness occasionally.

Question 1 - Are there degrees of slow blood flow that show up
on the thallium test?   Wouldn't most people in late 40's or
early 50's have some slow blood flow?  Do doctors' interpretation
of the test vary and therefore their suggested followup....

Question 2 -  Isn't there a new non-invasive procedure that
is being done using something like a CAT scan that shows the
same thing that a heart catheritization shows?  We saw something
about it on TV a month or so ago....Do you know where it is being
done and what it is called?

Thank you for your help!

Ken Fancher
Dear Doctor,
I had a thallium stress test last week.  I now hear (from another doctor) that I should have been alerted to not get too close or sleep in same bed w/ my husband for several days after taking the test.  This other doctor said that getting physically close (for several hours) to someone after being injected with thallium exposes THEM to it and is potentially dangerous for them.  I had tried to find out about the dangers of thallium prior to taking the test and could not find info on its safety anywhere (including the internet).  My cardiologist was vague when I asked him about it.  Now I am really worried, as my husband had a thallium test in November, which means I have been exposed to the radiation TWICE.

Also, I started getting PVCs the evening after the test.  Where can I find out the scoop on the "safety" of the thallium test?  Also, how much thallium should a person weighing 120 pounds be given? Is the camera that takes the pictures harmful to the person in any way?

Thank you very much in advance. Janet
I had a thalium stress test and got a rash that lasted quite a long time .Is that common
I had a thalium stress test (treadmill) earlier this week during which I had a strong metallic taste in my mouth ... I was told this is common and would subsude. The taste remains three days later. During the past two days I also have had feelings of "nervousness" particularly in the chest cavity. Are these common side effects or indicative of something else.
I am going for a thallium stress test Monday morning can you tell me what they are going to do. How does this work?
I am going to have a thallium stress in the morning can you tell me what they are going to do.
I am to have a stress test using thallium. I have many serious alergys to chemicals, Is this test safe for me?
I had a irregular ekg test result 4 years ago at which time my Dr. sent me for a echocardiogram. The echo showed that i had the condition known as mitral valve prolapse probably caused by childhood rheumatic fever.He said this was a common condition which should be monitored by a yearly checkup.I changed to a different DR. recently and he prescribed a stress echo test. The results were abnormal because my heart skipped 3 beats but this test showed no mitral valve prolapse .Because of the irregular heartbeat he had me undergo a Thalium Stress Test. The results for the Thalium Stress Test came back normal and he recommended no further action at this time. How is it possible to have mitral valve prolapse 4 years ago  but be free of it now? Also with the different results from the 2 recent stress tests should i have anymore tests or accept his expanation that everything is normal? Should i consult a cardiologist?  My email - ***@****
Can a thalium stress test actually show blockages or is it just an indicator of sorts that "something" is wrong?
Kimberly
A related discussion, Heart Condition Tests was started.
A related discussion, thallium stress and echo was started.