Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
Thallium Stress Test
I had a thallium stress test a week ago.  Now I'm setting off radioactive alarms at the facility where I work which is a heavily secure building.  How long will the thallium remain in my body?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
159619 tn?1318997813
Thallium stress tests utilize thallium-201, with a physical half-life of about three days. This means that the activity or emissions from a vial of thallium-201 will decrease by half every three days. Thus, after three days, the activity will be one-half of the initial activity. After six days it will be about one-fourth of the initial activity, and so forth. It could take up to about 30 days for the activity in this vial to decrease to levels that are no longer measurable above natural background radiation levels.

In addition, when thallium-201 is injected into the blood during a stress test, the thallium rapidly leaves the blood by uptake in the cells of all organs and tissues in the body. Over time, the thallium eventually is excreted by way of the gastrointestinal tract 80% and through the urine 20%. The International Commission on Radiological Protection notes that 63% of injected thallium chemical will leave the body with a biological-half life, which is how long it takes for half of the amount of a chemical to clear from the body, of seven days. The remaining 37% will leave the body with a much longer biological half-life of 28 days. Therefore, thallium chemical will clear from the body with about a 10-day overall biological half-life.


Hope this helps.........

Jon
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
976897 tn?1379171202
When I had a CT andio and normal angiography in the same week, I'm surprised that I didn't glow in the dark. They made me wait a month before a nuclear scan.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
367994 tn?1304957193
The sensitivity of alarms may vary from one installation to another and ratings continue to increase due to increased risk.  After a Thallium Stress test, with the alarm sensitivity rating at the White House, an individual continued to set of the alarm for 30 days  Your high security building may have the same rating. It can/will remain in your system for about 71 days.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
Avatar universal
Blank
Avatar universal
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Avatar universal
Blank
GirlyBear15 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
19 hrs ago
Avatar universal
Blank
Hema13 added the Diabetes Tracker
Dec 02
Avatar universal
Blank
replytorahul commented on Ear Mystery, Solved
Dec 02
Heart Disease Community Resources