Heart Disease Expert Forum
The latest on earlobe creases?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

The latest on earlobe creases?

Dear Doctor,

What is the current thinking on earlobe creases?  Do Cardiologists use this marker during an exam?  I am 39, female, and I have a long crease in my left ear and half crease in my right.  I do have controlled cholesterol and blood pressure.  I read some scary things on the internet about this topic, causing me to wonder if I already have or will develop CAD. I am terrified and depressed over this.  I have never had a doctor ask me to see my earlobe, making me think that this must not be a very valuable tool.  What do doctors think?  The studies out there seem to be conflicting.

Thank you much!
Related Discussions
Hello,
This questions gets asked about once per year.  I can honestly tell you that I have never examined an earlobe crease or read an article in a medical journal about its prognostic significance.  The major risk factors are: family history, hypertension, increased LDL cholesterol/decreased HDL cholesterol, smoking, diabetes.  There are many minor risk factors as well, but earlobe creases is not on the list.
Hope this helps.  Thanks for posting.
9 Comments
Blank
I have a long crease on my left lobe but not one at all on my right! I've wondered that more exposure to sun on the left side ( from driving) might have caused it but I've sure heard about the heart disease connection. I had the cardiac  calcium CT scan 2 years ago and I scored a zero so I hope and pray I am heart disease free but the crease does worry me. Thanks for asking the question!
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
I personally think it's hooey. I've developed a bit of a crease on my left lobe. But I'm older, skin is not as elastic as it used to be and I sleep on my left side most of the night. Maybe a connection there? Except for my lifelong arrhythmias, my heart is just fine.
Blank
Well I have a bigger crease on my right side and I truely believe its because when on the phone thats the side I use. Makes sense to me. Im on the phone all time at work.
wmac
Blank
When the earlobe crease thing came to light about 20-25 years ago I was concerned because I had VERY noticeable creases in both lobes.  I noticed about two years ago that the creases are gone.  I am 72.  My advice, worry about the known CAD causes and forget the sensationalist quacks.
Blank
Thank you all for your posts.  Very Helpful!
Blank
Thank you all for your posts.  Very Helpful!
Blank
Hello,  Curious why you think the creases may have dissapeared over the years.  Had anything changed?  Thank you.  
Blank
Lots of things have changed.  I was without symptoms of anything at the time, now have a list of ailments, including PACs/PVCs/ Atrial Fib as long as your arm.  Weight is less by 30 lbs.  Have no logical clue as to why the creases disappeared, and no idea when it happened.
Blank
A related discussion, Ear lobe creases together with family history was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank