Heart Disease Expert Forum
Three children with same defect

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Three children with same defect
I have four kids my first son was born healthy. My second child was born with a VSD and it closed up on its own by a year old. My third child (different dad than the first two) was born with a VSD and a ASD and went through heart failure had to have surgery at 2 months old. I am now expecting our fourth child (second together) and just found out that he also has a VSD and they wont know how bad it is until he is born. I just want to know why three of my kids have had it and what exactly how much the risk goes up with each child.
It is not possible to answer your question with any certainty without providing much more information. There certainly may be a genetic or familial component to frequency of ventricular septal defect (VSD) in your children. I suggest you discuss with a physician who can provide the appropriate genetic counselling.
My third child that went through heart failure has had a genetic work up done on her because of other health issues and nothing was found...