Heart Disease Expert Forum
Tired of the thoughts
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tired of the thoughts

Like everyone here I too think I am going to have a heartattack.....all the time everything I feel anywhere near my chest I think thats what it is....grrr I hate this, I take ativan as needed when I feel a panic attack comming, I have stomach issues from all this too.....what helps besides meds?
Related Discussions
Dear Kelly: first of all, depending on your age and symptoms, heart disease needs to be excluded.  Afterwards and once you have been evaluated by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist and these feelings found to indeed be related to panic attacks and anxiety, I would then tun to meditation and/or cognitive behavior therapy to deal with these symptoms.  Be cautious with use of lorazepam/ativan as it can be habit-forming and people might even feel worse once the medication wears off.  Good Luck!
2 Comments
Blank
You can google something like "scholarly articles treatment panic attacks," and what will come up are studies showing that a combination of medications PLUS cognitive behavioral therapy is the most effective approach.

If for some reason you are violently opposed to medication for what is in fact a medical problem, then probably you would still be able to fnd a therapist who would be willing to try you on cognitive therapy alone.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity