Heart Disease Expert Forum
Too much Lasix?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Too much Lasix?

I have dilated cardiomyopathy, diagnosed when I went into severe heart failure almost two years ago. I have been stable since I started on Lasix, lanoxin, an ACE inhibitor and carvedilol. My ejection fraction measured by echo was 42 six months ago, up from 22 when I was first diagnosed. My weight has remained constant -- low normal for my height -- and I am not retaining fluid. My problem is that my life has to be planned around the availability of toilets. I take 40 mg of Lasix at breakfast time, but the effect seems to last all day and I usually have to get up at least once every night. I don't think my fluid intake is excessive, and I don't think I have diabetes -- have been tested quite often. I know that Lasix is regarded as a key element in the treatment of my condition, but I am wondering if I should ask my cardiologist about decreasing the dosage without it causing harmful effects. Sorry to be long-winded about a simple question, but this problem really seems to have become worse lately.