Heart Disease Expert Forum
Too much oxygen in blood?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Too much oxygen in blood?

My mother 45, 1-1 1/2 pack a day smoker over weight though has lost 45 pounds
  had blood tests done a few weeks back and the only thing to come back as
  abnormal was she had high oxygen saturation in her blood.  I can't seem
  to find a thing anywhere about this.  I posted on the General forum this morning
  but I went to return and it has disappeared. Please direct me to information.
  Thank you in advance.
Related Discussions

_
Dear Jamie, thank you for your question.  I suspect that your mother had a test called an arterial blood gas performed to determine the oxygen saturation of her blood.  Normal oxygen saturations are > 92%.  If her saturation was 99-100%, that would still be considered normal.  Alternatively, it could be that she has an elevated hemoglobin concentration in her blood which could be related to chronic smoking.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart
Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979