Heart Disease Expert Forum
Topamax and Blood Pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Topamax and Blood Pressure

I was prescribed Topamax for migraines, which was a best guess diagnosis, since everything else was ruled out. I had lost vision half way across my right eye twice within two weeks, and had been feeling like I was going to pass out at least once a day for almost a month. They put me on Topamax. At the time I was also on Bystolic for high blood pressure. A couple of weeks after being put on Topamax my cardiologist told me I could quit taking my blood pressure meds because it seemed the Topamax was helping with that as well. Is this a normal response?

It seems the first two weeks since then my blood pressure has been normal, but the last two weeks it has been running high again, but only the bottom number sometimes, and other times it is both numbers...107/91, 140/102, etc. I used to be able to tell when my bp was up, but now on the Topamax I no longer feel dizzy or lightheaded. Should I be contacting my doctor about going back on my meds?
1 Comment
It is a common side effect of this med, but you should have your blood pressure rechecked in about 6 weeks to make sure that it's still well controlled.  It is possible that your blood pressure may go up again as your body gets used to this medication.  At that point you should recontact your physician regarding restarting the htn meds.