Total cholesterol is 152, but HDL is only 2 following start of Pravastatin
I am a 39 year old, female. I was put on Pravastatin about 9 weeks ago as my cholesterol had gone from 190 to 225 from the previous year. I have a family history of heart disease (my father passed away after a second heart attack at 53). I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago and was placed on Levoxyl (75mg) and my levels have remained normal. I went to have my cholesterol checked after taking the pravastatin for 9 weeks. My total cholesterol dropped from 225 to 152, but what seriously concerns me is that my HDL dropped from 54 to 2 mg/dL!!! I just go the news last night and my doctor didn't seem overly concerned. He said I could go off the pravastatin and see how my numbers were with diet and exercise alone. I have been on a good routine with proper diet and regular exercise and I am at the low end of my healthy weight. I have low to normal blood pressure. Anyway, searching for info on this today, I can't find anyone with such low LDL levels but the term "dangerously low" pops up for women with HDL less than 40. I ordered an elliptical today to increase my aerobic activity, as I often skip the walks due to bad weather. I have decided not to take the Pravastatin - although I will discuss this with my doctor. But my ratio was better with a total of 225 to an HDL of 54 then it is to have a total of 152 to 2. Any thoughts, comments or advice would be welcome. I am pretty laid back, but this is freaking me out!
It would seem that you should ask for a repeat of the test, it sounds like a faulty reading.
It is too far outside the norm to be taken seriously.  
Excellent point. I may be concerned over nothing and having tried to research it, I couldn't find anyone reporting such a low HDL number. Thank you for reminding me to use common sense!