Heart Disease Community
Trace regurgitation and exercise

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Trace regurgitation and exercise

I got the report back for my echocardiogram, in the mail. On the front, my doctor wrote "All normal - great news!"

But then, when I looked at the report itself, there were several abnormal findings. They were:

Left Atrium: Left atrial size is mildly dilated.

Mitral Valve: The mitral valve appears normal. Trace mitral valve regurgitation.

Tricuspid Valve: THe tricuspid valve appears normal. Trace tricuspid valve regurgitation.

Pulmonic Valve: The pulmonic valves appears normal. Trace tricuspid valve regurgitation.

Now, my question is: How "normal" is it when they say there is trace regurgitation and only that the valve "appears" normal? (Other times in the report different valves or structures were deemed "normal" without the "seems" qualifier.)

Also, I have been running about 4 miles a day, and now I wonder if it is safe to do so. I was seen for PVCs, and exercise exacerbates them for about half an hour after exertion.

Is my doctor just trying to keep me calm? Is it normal to have three of my four heart valves leaking? Is it normal to have an enlarged atrium, with frequent PVCs?

In other words, what the heck is happening to me, and what the heck should I do about it?
Mild and trace leakage is not considered medically significant.  Normal structure indicates there are no deformities and integrity of the valve functionality.  For instance an abnormal structure could be an enlarged opening, or the leaflets may have a hole or the leaflets are fused together and does not stop leakage, or the cordnae (attaches to the leaflets and the heart wall, acts like a hinge) is elongated doesn't properly close to prevent back flow the blood. etc.

A left atrium mildly enlarged is not normal, but the dimension is an estimate and may be within the margin of error for normal size.  Would need more information to considered it a medical problem.  

PVCs are one of the most common arrhythmias and can occur in patients with or without heart disease. The prevalence of PVCs varies greatly, with estimates of less than 3% to more than 60% in asymptomatic individuals

,