Heart Disease Community
Trigger for Angina - Vibration?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Trigger for Angina - Vibration?

Hello everybody,

I got a attack of Angina today whilst I was using a electric saw - It can't have been exertion because earlier on I was using the hand saw that requires exertion and then a friend brought a electric saw, soon as I used it I felt the vibrations going up my arms and then my chest started to tighhten up. I have had Angina a few times now since my heart attack last year and whats strange is its never been because of over exertion. Once it was in a wedding reception, othe other whilst brushing my teeth etc. In between I have jogged, walked up hills but experianced no problems.

Was this just random or connected to the vibrations of the saw?
"Ed perhaps you can explain why before my heart attack last year I never ever got angina but then after my MI and  1 stent I started to get angina? "

Well one obvious reason comes to mind. Your MI was likely caused by some hard plaque breaking away from existing disease and the soft inner plaque erupted into your artery. This floated down the artery to a narrower point and blocked it, causing MI. Before being fractured, the blockage was insufficient to give any symptoms, possibly 30-60%. You had the blocked area stented, but what about the area with the eruption? This could have formed clotting material or even scar tissue, narrowing the vessel at that point. The stent could also have formed scar tissue very soon after being installed.
When you had the stent, did they indicate whether any heart muscle had been permanently damaged by your MI ?

I think it was from the saw.
I used to get angina -soon after was out from the hospital diagnosed with heart failure,- when I used  certain garden tools,were 'shaking' my body like a grass cutter ,or even kitchen tools…..it happened maybe for 6-8 months…..  

Still get a little once in a while, after 7 years, but ONLY if the situation is stressful, but it can be from simple thinking on stressful events, situations.  More I change my attitude over the issue is, for positive, sooner the angina stops and most right away. It is powerful to think we can control much more in our body more as we used to give credit for.
Take care.
A very interesting question indeed and one which I did look into a few years ago. I found that if my children played music loudly, the bass would cause me chest discomfort yet nobody else in the house seemed affected. So, how could the bass have just affected me I wondered.
Apparently, everything in the universe has a resonate frequency at which it naturally oscillates. Even living cells from plants and animals all oscillate and those frequencies can affect their behaviour and even cause damage. A Russian scientist many years ago did experiments on plants and found that he was able to kill diseased cells by applying an oscillating frequency to the cells at the correct level. He was also able to allow the diseased cells to flourish while killing normal cells. It was believed this would become a medical procedure for the future, but I haven't seen anything. So, I would have to say that yes, any machine which emits vibration can affect living cells, or even affect their behaviour. You could of course dampen the vibration using something like rubber gloves.
We all know that high frequency levels can destroy things, most of us have seen the destruction of glass using amplified sound. Once the oscillating frequency hits that of the glass, and the intensity is increased adequately, the molecules cannot hold together anymore.
I hope this helps and it certainly is interesting.

Yesterday I used the electric saw again ( its one of those that looks like a manuel saw with forward and back motion )  and soon as it came on I felt discomfort in the chest. I took a break straight away and within minutes I felt better. The last time I persisted despite the discomfort and got full blown angina requiring GTN spray.

I have no doubt now that the vibration is causing attacks of angina. Ed what you say is interesting, I have to admit I have never heard of this - Could the vibration be causing muscles to constrict ............ What they call Vasospasm??

And thanks for the reply, Vienna and Ed.

PS.
Ed perhaps you can explain why before my heart attack last year I never ever got angina but then after my MI and  1 stent I started to get angina? What did I develop atherosclerosis overnight?  Of course I realize I must have had some atherosclerosis to getb the heart attack but why no angina. Yes I had coronery disease before my MI but it was 'dormant' but how did it suddenly manifest itself in angina attacks?
"Ed perhaps you can explain why before my heart attack last year I never ever got angina but then after my MI and  1 stent I started to get angina? What did I develop atherosclerosis overnight?  Of course I realize I must have had some atherosclerosis to getb the heart attack but why no angina. Yes I had coronery disease before my MI but it was 'dormant' but how did it suddenly manifest itself in angina attacks?"

This is EXACTLY what I keep telling everyone in my case.  I went to the ER with "symptoms" such as short of breath and odd feeling in my chest. It was discovered I had a 90% block in my RCA.  Just after having the stent put in, and while I was still on the table, all of a sudden I felt the most awful pain in my chest that went into my check bones and down both arms. I screamed out and the doctor and his team looked at me and the monitor and decided it was my back.  Well, all I can say is I never had angina until the stent was put in. I had 2 heart attacks a year apart after that too without anymore damage to speak of.  I did have some angina with those. But then I started having angina that would wake me out of a dead sleep, and while sitting in front of the computer.  Never with exercise. Odd.  And a little over a year ago it was determined that my angina is actually heart spasms.  Before starting on a CCB I could have as many as 15 in a day. And some of these are quite strong.  I don't have any real answers for you, just know I didn't have angina either until I had the stent put in.

Take care, Ally

Yes, I was told soon sometime after by the  Cardiac Nurse that I had  a " very small  scar" on my heart which was because of heart muscle damage. I can't complain about my physical performance, I can do most things as well as before although I don't push as much as I used to. I was told I could go impotent but with smile on my face I can say the plumbing still works, maybe tad less performance but I reckon I have been lucky.

Asides from the mental scar I carry of that dreadful day in April 2010 I am fine  ... the only legacy of that event today  is Angina and oh yes the damn tablets.
I keep having chest pain, when the new band at our church plays. I had a bypass 6years ago. And my Dr just did a heart cat and no new blockages. And my old one has went down from 98 to60. So what is causing it. It gets so bad I have to take my into. Doris