Heart Disease Expert Forum
Triglyceride increase and Coreg?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Triglyceride increase and Coreg?

Since my heart attack and stent placement 5 months ago my diet has been 99% plant based.   Lipids dropped a lot.

I have been checking my lipids frequently and they have been fairly steady until last Monday when I saw a spike in triglycerides and drop in HDL.

For most the last 5 months:
Total Chol about 120 or lower
Triglycerides about 115 or lower
HDL fairly steady at about 35.  has always been low.

Last monday TG rose to 204 and HDL dropped to 29.
Total Chol was 115 and LDL direct was 55.

My change was dropping lisinopril due to a couch and increasing Coreg from 3.125 mg 2x/d to 6.25 mg  2x/d

this has shifted my cardiac disease risk in the wrong direction.

Does it make sense that the lipid change is due to coreg dose this small?   and if so, would it make sense to go back to prior dose and maybe try a lower dose of lisinopril?  
Lisinopril and Carvedilol are blood pressure medications (lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor, Carvedilol is a beta blocker) and should not have any effect on your lipid profile.  Both are important medications for those who have suffered a heart attack and undergone stenting.  In addition to these medications, you should be on some sort of lipid medication (a "statin" such as atorvastatin, pravastatin, rosuvasatin, lovastatin, etc).  This class of medication will help lower your LDL (goal would be  60).  Also, when checking your lipid profile, this should be done following at least a 8-10 hour fasting period.
thanks you..  Yes, have been on 5 mg lipitor this entire time.  And have been fasting before each blood test.   So it seems the rise in TG and drop in HDL is a mystery.   As mentioned the only changes were the med change about 6 weeks ago..diet has stayed the same
I took Lisinopril for awhile and it had no effect on my lipids. I also started on a plant based diet and was able to discontinue the Lisinopril as BP normalized due to the diet.
Btw. Your lipids look great. I had similar results. The low HDL won't matter as long as the total is < 150.