Heart Disease Community
Two weeks after angioplasty - safe to travel internationally?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I've been told that I will feel very good after my angioplasty.  Perhaps better than I have in a long time.  Am I expecting more than will be reality?

Also, I will be hopping on a couple of international flights for a European holiday, 15 days after my procedure.  The doctor seems to think this is fine, in that he scheduled the procedure knowing when I'm leaving.

Does anyone know what I may expect with regard to how I will feel after the angioplasty, if there are any dangers to the flying and if not, anything else that I should watch out for while travelling?
I can't speak of the feelings after angioplasty specifically, but i can speak about the risks of flying after a cath-like procedure, as i had two of my ablations out of town, and had to fly home afterwards.

You will likely be on some sort of blood thinner post-procedure.  i cannot stress enough to you the importance of staying hydrated and getting up to move around FREQUENTLY on that plane ride to decrease your risk of developing blood clots.  Blood clots can form in the legs from sitting too long, and people are generally at a higher risk for this after a medical procedure.

Good luck,
steph
Thanks so much Steph.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Since I posted this message, I've learned that I will not be having the angioplasty at the same time as the angiogram after all.

This means that I will be travelling before my angioplasty, but after the angiogram only.  This has me concerned in a different direction.  

I'm worried about the stress of the travelling and the touring (planes, trains and automobiles), hauling bags, etc.  But nothing can be done about that other than stay home, which isn't going to happen. :^)

The meds I'm on right now, seem to be doing a pretty good job of stopping the angina, so hopefully, all will go well on my trip and I can have the angioplasty scheduled for my return.

I've always taken care to keep moving around and do exercise in my seat (roll ankles, pull alternating knees to chest, stretching etc, as well as getting up and walking the aisle.  I usually try to do a few other exercises in the galley too, if I'm not in the way.  To my mind, this is something we all should do in any event.  My bestfriend's brother died of deep vein thrombosis after a vacation (age 40) and no one had known he had any problems, as he was the picture of health and had always been very physically active, did not smoke, etc.  So if the best of us can have problems, certainly those of us in less good health should also be taking these precautions.
I had an angioplasty done in January and a send one in the same spot 6 months later. I was not feeling good after the first one and insisted on a recheck after the first stenting. They went in and had to do a ballooning. I fe discomfort in my neck and have a lot of gas. Why do I fee that