Heart Disease Expert Forum
Type 2 Diabetes and heart Attacks

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Type 2 Diabetes and heart Attacks

Today on the news,I heard that a person with Type2 diabetes has 6 more times the chance of having a heart attack than one who already has had a heart attack with no diabetes.  I had a miscarriage last year and had no history of sugar problem   Two months after the miscarriage, I was feeling bad and none of the doctors discovered my sugar problem.  My mother did by buying a kit in the drug store.  It registered bright gold (the highest listed) My sugar was 300 when I saw the doctor. He put me on a lil pill and it brought the sugar down...Last week, I had blood work again without fasting and it registered 109.  The doctor took me off that little pill and will check my blood again in a month.  Question:  Even if one has type2 diabetes under control, should I  expect a heart attack.  I do not know if my pregnancy caused this or genetics or by me being 30 lbs. overweight.  Mom is not diabetic nor is my Dad or my brother. Great g'ma was (maternal) and Great g'pa was (paternal)   Should I stay on diabetes meds the rest of my life even though it is within normal at this time to prevent a Heart Attack...I am very concerned by today's medical report on TV.   Thank you, doctor.....Rebby    P.S. What causes pregnancy to bring on diabetes.  My husband would like to know this also.  Thanks again.

Dear  Rebby,
Thank you for your question.  While it is true that those people with diabetes have a higher risk of having a heart attack it does not mean that everyone who has diabetes will have a heart attack.  Diabetes is a risk factor for heart disease.  It is a risk factor that you cannot change.  However there are other risk factors that you can change.  First of all if you smoke, stop. Today.  This is the number one thing you can do to prevent having a heart attack in the future.  Plus you will save money and smell better.  Second, lose the extra weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle of increased activity.  This does not need to be at marathon levels.  Just small increases in activity can lead to big improvements.  For example instead of taking the elevator up one or two flights of stairs try walking.  Park you car at the edge of the parking lot instead of right at the door.  Take a walk every morning or every evening after dinner.  Cut down on your food portions and eat plenty of leafy greens and vegetables.  Third, watch your cholesterol.  Have your cholesterol checked by your doctor.  If diet and exercise alone fail to bring it down then you may need to take a cholesterol medication.  And lastly keep a tight control on your sugar.  Avoid all sweets and sugars.  This will decrease your risk of having a heart attack over the long run.
These changes are not easy but with help from your family and your doctor I believe you can substantially reduce your risk of having heart problems in the future.
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist.