Heart Disease Expert Forum
Type 2 Diabetes and heart Attacks
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Type 2 Diabetes and heart Attacks

Posted By Rebby on July 25, 1998 at 16:54:35:

Today on the news,I heard that a person with Type2 diabetes has 6 more times the chance of having a heart attack than one who already has had a heart attack with no diabetes.  I had a miscarriage last year and had no history of sugar problem   Two months after the miscarriage, I was feeling bad and none of the doctors discovered my sugar problem.  My mother did by buying a kit in the drug store.  It registered bright gold (the highest listed) My sugar was 300 when I saw the doctor. He put me on a lil pill and it brought the sugar down...Last week, I had blood work again without fasting and it registered 109.  The doctor took me off that little pill and will check my blood again in a month.  Question:  Even if one has type2 diabetes under control, should I  expect a heart attack.  I do not know if my pregnancy caused this or genetics or by me being 30 lbs. overweight.  Mom is not diabetic nor is my Dad or my brother. Great g'ma was (maternal) and Great g'pa was (paternal)   Should I stay on diabetes meds the rest of my life even though it is within normal at this time to prevent a Heart Attack...I am very concerned by today's medical report on TV.   Thank you, doctor.....Rebby    P.S. What causes pregnancy to bring on diabetes.  My husband would like to know this also.  Thanks again.