Types of heart murmurs
I have been told I have 4 heart murmurs.  Can you advise me of what questions I should be asking my doctor as it relates to these murmurs?  My doctor says they are nothing to worry about.  I have read other questions on this forum and noted discussions that referenced "types of murmurs".  I do not know what types of murmurs I have and why they are not considered significant.    They were diagnosed after an echocardiogram at the age of 52. As far as I know, I have had a murmur all my life.  It was this echocardiogram that identified 4 of them. Otherwise, I am a female in good health and do not take medication of any kind.  I have anemia,which is not treated with medication, just diet. My doctor routinely administers an echocardiogram every two years as part of a wellness checkup.  Thanks for your guidance.
Stethoscopes diagnose murmurs.   Murmurs are not diagnosed by echocardiogram, however they can detect leaks of the valves.   Keep in mind that almost everybody in the population has some degree of insufficiency on their heart valves (normally physiologic closure of the valves allows a brief amount of regurgitant volume) which is picked up by modern echocardiogram machines.   It does not mean that you have a heart murmur caused by that.    Some people even have trivial/mild leaking of all four heart valves (though all four is not as common)  

So bottom line is you said you had one your whole life-- that may still be the only one they hear.   I've had one my whole life too and also have trivial leaks on three of my valves.   I was told it was nothing to ever worry about and that it was unlikely to ever get worse.