Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ugly bruise after heart cath--normal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ugly bruise after heart cath--normal?

I had a heart catheterization just 5 days ago.  It was to look closer at my aortic valve (functioning now at 25%), fortunately the arteries were clear.  A collagen plug was used to seal off the femoral artery.  However, I started to bleed profusely before leaving the cath room, and it felt like they placed about 4 Sumo wrestlers or an elephant on my already sore leg to stop the bleeding.  I had to lay with a sandbag as well, plus a couple more "pressing on wound" sessions in recovery room.  I now have this really horrible, ugly, purple bruise in the groin area and half-way down my inner thigh.  Some parts (as the bruise reaches the plug site) are fairly sore to the touch.  Otherwise, I feel fine, but can't walk a long time or long way.  (I'm a very young, active 51-year-old female.)  Is this normal?  Could it be that due to the unexpected hemorhage (sp?), more than a normal amount of blood has seeped under my skin causing the bruise?  I think it is getting better (some yellow to outer edges now), but I'm not entirely sure.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Could it still be bleeding?  Thanks for any wit or wisdom!  You always give me great ancillary (in addition to my own physicians) guidance as I journey toward valve replacement probably in the spring (the time for new birth!)!     Thanks, Susan

Dear Susan,
Thank you for your question.  What you are describing is called a "hemotoma" in medical parlance.  This is unfortunately a potential complication of cardiac cath.  It is usually self-limited and although it looks ugly will have no long-term consequences.  If you notice numbness, pain, redness, infection or increasing size of the area you should notify your doctor.  IT may take several weeks for this to completely disappear.  Hope this helps.
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist

A related discussion, HEART CATH BRUISING was started.
A related discussion, Bruises after heart catherazaion was started.