Heart Disease Expert Forum
Unusual Blood Pressure Readings - High Pulse Pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Hi All,

I am a 27 year old male, quite fit. I have recently been experiencing an increase in the amount of time I experience heart palpitations, and an unusual 'fluttery' feeling just below the collarbone where the thyroid is. My heartbeat is also very pronounced for alot of the times during the day.

I decided to test my blood pressure which got me really worried. The readings flucatuate a lot, the average being 125/55, but diastolic can go as low as 44 (i.e. 123/44.). I am also easily stressed, and the first time I take the reading systolic will always be 145 - 150, before dropping to the 120's.

I have read in many places on the internet that a high pulse pressure (in my case between 60 and 80) is very bad, and could be a symptom of undiagnosed leaky aortic valve. This has really scared me.

Does anyone think that my blood pressure readings are that concerning?

I have the same problem.  But mine is usually 130/55 on average. I would like some answers too.  
Mine ranges from 130/70 to 95/50 .  So I have low bp most the time
Its got me really concerned now. I'm almost convinced I have aortic regurgitation. There should be no other reason other than hyperthyroidism (which actually is accompanied by a faster than normal heartbeat) to cause diastolic pressure to be so low, and my heart rate is around 63.

I also suspect I have a lower than norma exercise tolerance as I frequently experience palpitations when exerted.

I'm going to book a specialist appointment tomorrow and get this evaluated asap. Can anyone else offer any advice? It would be much appreciated.

ps The site below:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Examining-the-Pulse-(Different-Types).htm

It seems to suggest that taking blood pressure with hand raised up to head and monitoring diastolic to see if it drops is a good indicator of this condition. The first time I checked I got error. The second time I got 115/40. This is really sad.. it looks like I have the condition for sure..
Our blood pressures are constantly changing along with our heart rate. Everything affects it from our thoughts, eating, body posture, even the temperature. Mine can be 116/60 to 130/80 and 95/55 all within an hour. I typically have a high pulse pressure also, but have been told I have a normal heart & blood pressure readings by a cardiologist. Maybe you could ask for a echocardiogram for reassurance.
Went to GP today and have echocardiogram booked on 18th September. GP agreed wide pulse pressure isn't normal but could be normal (got the feeling he didn't really know). He used the stethoscope to listen to my heart and said it sounds normal. Ordered Xray of chest. I had a look at it on the cd.. the heart doesnt really look enlarged which is a good sign. I will wait for his analysis tomorrow. I guess the echo will be the true indicator and will have to wait until the 18th for that..