Heart Disease Expert Forum
Unusual Heart Sensations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Unusual Heart Sensations

I am 64 year old male w/CAD.  Have 5 stents put in over the last 10 years,  this particular problem seems to be under control. I am otherwise healthy. My question concerns unusual "heart" symptoms I ocasionaly have, symptoms are:

I don't have the vocabulary to describe the intense sensation, but will try. It is an open and raw sensation in heart area.  I can taste and smell the rawness and blood.  I feel and sense a rythmic beating beating in the "rawness".   It feels like something in my heart has has opened up or been exposed.   It is such a strong feeling that it overwhelms me.  It feels something like an opened or raw and extremely sensitive area, Makes me think it's might be 3/8" or 1/2 in size.  Lasts for a few seconds then is gone.  Not really associated with pain, but with a life threatening urgency or consequence.  Nothing like any other heart pain I've had, If I were to guess, It is in the heart area and I suspect "in" my heart.  It is very intense, I can taste and smell the (blood?) and rawness of it.  I think it is deadly. Has happened maybe 5 times over the last two years, last time was week of 2/9/2014.  Always has happened in the morning when I wake up.  May be associated with heaviness in the heart area. No after effects, no pain or shortness of breath. I explained it to one Cardiologist and I think he thought I was crazy.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Given the intensity of your symptoms and your level of concern, I think that your symptoms need attention. It's not clear to me what the cause of your symptoms might be, but possibilities include a rhythm disorder or a blockage in one of the vessels of the heart.  Your cardiologist might consider monitoring your heart's ryhthm over time (e.g., with a Holter monitor) or pursuing a stress test.  If you're not happy with how your cardiologist responded to your concerns, you should seek a second opinion.