Heart Disease Community
Upcoming stress test - have vertigo
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Upcoming stress test - have vertigo

Hello - I had a relapse of vestibular disorder, most likely MAV - migraine associated vertigo on Memorial Day. Neurologist put me on xanax and amitriptyline - same drugs I was on between 1998-2005 during my last episode. I thought everything was fine - small spells here and there but 95% "cured" until this happened. Symptoms have subsided but not completely gone. I also have four herniated cervical discs C4 through 7 and am in physical therapy for those. I have mitral valve prolapse (diagnosed many years ago), and yesterday got an abnormal EKG at the cardiologist - low voltage, electrical pathways not right, other "irregularities." (I've been told there's a connection between MVP, inner ear disorders, and anxiety). Now the cardio has ordered a chemical stress test since he doesn't think I can do the treadmill with my dizziness. I walk 20 minutes a day but at my own pace, not with somebody making me walk faster and faster.
Is this chemical stress test going to make my dizziness worse? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the symptoms I keep reading about - headache, nausea, panic, etc. Can I take my xanax before the test? What about anti-nausea (promethezine)? Tylenol for the headache pain? My resting heart rate is 95-110 and I am 59 years old and about 40 lbs. overweight. BP is averaging about 100/80.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament, but please don't worry. You may be allowed to take your anti anxiety medications prior to the procedure, as it may not interfere with the test results. As for the others, as symptoms develop you may be permitted to take them.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you for responding. I am so concerned about this. I need to stop reading about how horrible the chemical stress test is. Cardio is also running nine blood panels this week to see if he can narrow this down to what's causing all these symptoms. He thinks it may be thyroid. I will definitely post back here afterwards. Thank you again!
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Good Luck with your procedure. As your BP is on the lower side check to rule out postural hypotension, a condition in which the peripheral arteries dilate, leading to pooling of blood in the peripheries. This in effect causes decreased circulation of blood resulting in dizziness/lightheadedness. This is more pronounced if the person stands up from a lying down position. This is detected by recording the blood pressure recordings in the sitting, standing and lying down positions. If the variations in blood pressure recordings are more than 10 mmHg, it is diagnosed as postural hypotension/Orthostatic Hypotension.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
612551_tn?1247839157
Blank
Jerry_NJ
NJ
Blank
skydnsr
212161_tn?1391090750
Blank
heartfluttersflyawayplz
hoschton, GA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
lizfal commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Jul 26
Blank
ejoli commented on mckansas's status
Jul 25
Blank
neato1 is ... Comment
Jul 24
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...