Heart Disease Expert Forum
Upsloping T-Wave Depression

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Upsloping T-Wave Depression

I am a 40 year old female with a history of Migraines and tachacarydia (120) on Inderal for mild BP elevations, Migraine and tach. Non smoker(never), Good weight and Cholestrol. No Birth Control ever. Fatherdied at 42 after 8th plaugue realted MI beginning at age 26, Mom died at 69 combo stroke and V-fib,and she had a pacer implant 81 for Sick Sinus syndrome the atrial fib problems.

I do well but I get winded easy and I am mildly inactive mainly due to fear of MI or Stroke from exercise. EKG has showed Minor S-T wave abnormality since 26..with a normal sinus rate. One showed some very mild anteriour ishesimia and a shrot P, but that was years back now its just S-T wave abnormal and they say nothing to worry about.
My question Has a Treadmill stress test..Lasted about 3 min and could not breathe, BP decent rate and all good..Test termed equiovocal due to upsloping T-Wave depression. was told this is common in women especially with MVP like me(mild) and not to concern with it but no one seems to be able to explain what this is and where it comes from and what it can lead to or cause in the short or long run for my health..Can this cause a MI or stroke? Do I need asprin therapy due to upsloping T-Wave abnl?
Thank You for any help on this ?
Dear BJ,

Upsloping ST segments during evercise are a fairly non-specific finding, especially in women. The cause is not entirely clear but is probably due to repolarization pattern of the heart.  This is not a long-term predictor of outcome.  The findings however must be interpreted by you doctor in light of your overall clinical picture.  He can make recommendations concerning daily aspirin for your particular case.