Urgent - convince someone to go to the doctor?
My relative has all the symptoms of congestive heart failure.  Swelling of feet and stomach, shortness of breath.  He must have 30 lbs. of fluid in his stomach.  He hardly gets out of bed x 3 weeks. Has taken some leftover diurectics. He refuses to go to the doctor.  No one can convince him to go.  Told him all the scenarios.  It is not an insurance or financial problem.  Has anyone faced this situation?  How did you handle it?  Thank you for any help.
Bump
It may reach a point where you have to call 911 for help. That would not be the best case scenario since his life would be in danger at that point. Any idea why he refuses to go? Afraid of hospitals, knew someone who went to the hospital and never came back, is depressed and doesn't care any more? If you can find out why and deal with his fears first, maybe then he'll go. But fears are not as easy to cure as fluid retention.
I agree with Ireneo, it would be good if you could find out why he is refusing to go for help. I'd be willing to bet it's one of the reasons mentioned above.  That's where you can help.  Knowing the reason behind the refusal will give you a better idea of how to approach the subject. Let him know you understand he does not necessarily want intervention, but that you would feel better knowing how you could help with home remedies, etc.  Be sure he knows that you respect his decision, but that it's also a good idea for him (and those closest to him) what can be done for comfort, etc.  Since you know him well, try approaching him in a way that you know he will feel secure and comforted.  If things take a turn, and you are concerned, call 911.

Let us know how it goes.
A family member intervened an called an ambulance.  They examined him but he refused to go to the hospital.  The paramedic was very straight forward with him.  He let him know what danger he was in.  Also, that it was not only himself he needed to think about but also his family (the stress it was placing on them).  He did accept a breathing treatment.  The paramedic thought he had other things going on besides the CHF.

Now he is more receptive to seeing a doctor and he has an appt. for Thursday.  I am just praying that he goes.  Thank you for your advice.  It has been very difficult to get him to open up.
Good. Seeing a doctor should be a little less threatening than being carted off to the hospital. Assure him it's just a visit to talk about how he's feeling and what can be done to help. He's still in control but just getting advice. That's not so bad.
Good news!  I'm sure he is frustrated and this is very overwhelming and scary for him. Be as supportive as you can, and respect his wishes.  Hope he follows through.
sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I am glad htat he finally agreed to see a doctor and taht somone in the family call for the ambulance.
I hope he will get some answers soon and that things will work out for the best
Please keep us posted
michelle
Just counting down the days.  I am praying that he does not change his mind about seeing the doctor.  I appreciate your support.
The relative went to the doctor today and was put on medication.  Will have follow-up test and treatment.  Thank you.
I am so glad that your relative didn't cancel that appt. thank goodness someone else called for the ambulance last weekend and whatever that ambulance person said to your relative somehow convinced them to go. God knows your family tried. sometimes they just need a stranger to tell them. your relative sounds like they have a very caring family
I hope the relative continues to follow through and glad they are going to be okay
michelle
Glad to hear he/she is going for followup.  Hopefully, the medication will alleviate some of the symptoms.