Heart Disease Expert Forum
VERY LOW HEART RATE

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

VERY LOW HEART RATE

I AM A 44 YEAR OLD WOMAN IN GOOD SHAPE (RUNNER, CYCLIST, TRAIN HARD). I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD MY LOW HEART RATE DUE TO BEING ATHLETIC=HEALTHY HEART.
A FEW WEEKS AGO I STARTED SUFFERING (WHAT I BELIEVE NOW WERE PANIC ATTACKS). BEEN IN & OUT OF ER WITH HEART ATTACK SYMPTOMS. 3 ECHO'S, SEVERAL EKG'S & STRESS TESTS ALL GOOD.NOW MY SYSMPTOMS ARE THAT MY HR RATE DROPS TO LOW 30'S (THOUGH NOT ALWAYS DO I FEEL IT). I AM VERY CONCERNED, WAITING ADDITIONAL DR. APPT. ANYONE EVER HAD THESE?
Having a heart rate in the 30's is extremely low (normal is > 60). However, more importantly is what type of rhythm this is -- sinus bradycardia, some sort of heart block, etc. Another issue that plays a role is whether or not you are having symptoms. This should all be evaluated thoroughly by a licensed physician, likely a cardiologist or electrophysiologis -- who can examine your ECG's or holter monitor (if done) to determine whether or not a pacemaker is indicated and/or what the underlying cause might be (and if it something reversible).
So did they offer up a pacemaker?
My heartrate dropped to the low 30s while I slept. I was told I needed a pacer. I have and I think I hate it. I can't sleep longer than 6 hours now. I am 55 and in good shape 5'9" @ 150 lbs. I was told I have 2nd degree heartblock. I say shoe me how you know this? They say trust us, you need a pacemaker.
So you have the pacemaker? Yes, the initial cardiologist URGED me to get a pacemaker, immediately, saying my heart could stop at any moment. This , has added to my stress and I have been monitoring my heart rate and watch it go to 30's. It is without symptoms, though I think sometimes I start to breath funny (because of fear) and feel a bit lightheaded, but then returns to normal. Cardiologist had not reviewed history (marathon runner/long distance cyclist), so had an appt yesterday, he is now sending me to see a electrophysiologist. I have done some research on my own (it is so frustrating Dr's do not offer any information, at least the doctors I've seen). Initially telling me I have a strong good heart. Now, your heart will stop! I believe the symptoms I initially had (heart racing, chest pain, etc), were panic attacks (which is why all tests didn't show anything. Now, I think what I am having is a reaction caused by the vagus nerve. Now I just need a Dr to properly diagnose (if it is the case), treat it, and hopefully allow me to return to my life.
My next appt is with an electro... I normally don't have symptoms when my heart rate drops so low. I've been wearing (yes, pretty crazy), my heart rate monitor since I got the news about needing a pacemaker, so I've been watching my heart rate. I am under an incredible amount of stress over this. I keep thinking my children are going to find me dead one morning. I know it doesn't help this situation. I just wondered if anyone else has suffered similar situations and what was the problem. This is all just so crazy, especially because I've gone from being told "you have a perfectly healthy strong heart" to "you need a pacemaker NOW". My 2nd opinion with cardio is tomorrow, for which I hope to have some ideas.
Actually. If you are as active as you describe, its quite normal to have a low heart rate. In fact over 60 is SUPER high for an athlete. Although low heart rate with other symptoms can be a sign of many conditions, most of which can be identified and treated.  
Low heart rate. Why it happens. Actually what is the reason for that happens. Do we have a surgery for low heart rate?
Have we any precautions to get out of low heart rate? I want answer for these queries. Can anyone give.

BypassSurgery

BypassSurgery