Heart Disease Expert Forum
VSD and murmur

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

VSD and murmur

My newborn baby boy at just two weeks old was breathing very strangely, especially when asleep, he even seemed to stop breathing at times, he has since been diagnosed with a heart murmur and VSD as well as laryngomalacia. Generally this is said to be a common problem and he should out grow it within the first 2-3years of his life. He is under a cardiologist and at his last examination they found that the hole was pulling on the flap of the valve of the right atrium, this while blockinhg the hole is obviously putting undue stress on the valve. He needs to be monitored a little more closely now and it looks as if some sort of surgery is necessary, does anyone else know of any similar cases, I feel so in the dark and helpless. He is generally well but very prone to almost every infection out there at the moment.
I will be honest with you by saying that I am not a pediatric cardiologist, however, VSD's are a common cardiac anomaly which usually tends to fix themselves.  I am not exactly following your explanation of how the valve is affected, but typically what happens is that the VSD affects the structure of the valve or the valve becomes incompetant because the regurgitant jet from the VSD distorts it.  Because the AV valves are affected by the VSD the surgeon may decided to go ahead and fix it.