Heart Disease Expert Forum
VSD used to be 1mm now it is 1 cm Help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

VSD used to be 1mm now it is 1 cm Help!

Hi!
My name is Rebecca. I am 28. I was born with a VSD. As a baby it was supposed to be corrected, but it got smaller and it never was corrected. In 1996 (I was 21) I had an echo done and the hole was 1 mm. I have since had 3 children (one C-section 2 vaginally). I gained quite a bit of weight and my blood pressure has been relatively high for several years (145/85). I developed a panic disorder after I had my first child and am always a nervous wreck. I hadn't had a good check up in several years until this October. The Dr. did an EKG and reported sinus tachacardia (I was very nervous, not sure if that is part of it) and my b/p was very high 162/98 my pulse was 120. I was also 230 lbs. My triglyserides were way high 350, and my cholesterol was high 230. Upon listening to my heart the Dr. could not hear what used to be a very loud murmur. I told him that either the hole closed up or it got bigger and those could be the only reasons for the murmur to get so quiet. He ordered an echo. The echo showed the hole to be 1 cm. Quite a difference from 1 mm. Also it showed some regurgitation in a valve.
He referred me to a cardiologist here in West Palm Beach. The cardiologist wants to have a Trans Esophageal Echo done. He wants to know the pressure of the blood on the hole. What I need to know is this: How often do holes get bigger in adults and what is the primary cause? Do you think this hole needs to be repaired and if so, how do they close holes in an adult? I am very scared that this will kill me. I have 3 very small children and all I want is to live to ta
BeccaSue1975,

Thanks for the post.

Q1:"How often do holes get bigger in adults and what is the primary cause?"

The most common reason for an "increase" in hole size is the use of a different imaging technique (or a different person using the same technique).  The VSDs do sometimes increase, but this is uncommon when not related to the simple act of a person growing.  However, different loading conditions, such as that associated with increased blood pressure, can stretch an existing hole, making it appear larger than in the past.

Q2:"Do you think this hole needs to be repaired and if so, how do they close holes in an adult? "

The decision to surgically repair a VSD is a clinical one.  If a person is not showing adverse clinical changes, or suffering from adverse changes to the heart stucture, then most clinicians would recommend waiting for surgical repair.  If those two conditions are not met, then repair is usually advised.

A VSD repair is a surgical procedure requiring open heart surgery.

Talk to your doctors, and consider seeking an opinion at a large center.

Good luck.

The rest of mmy pos was cut off... this is the rest of it:
I have 3 very small children and all I want is to live to take care of them. I have begun to do all I can do to heal myself. I am on a wonderful food plan that eliminates all sugar, flour, and wheat. I have lost 30 pounds and am continuing to loose weight. My blood pressure is down to 127/73 which is way better!

Any advise or input from you would be most welcome!
You'd be surprised how many people, myself included, have the same reason for wanting to continue to live through anxiety and uncertainty and risk.  I read your post fearfully that the next thing I'd read was that you smoked so many packs a day etc.  Glad you didn't say that.  I'll bet that at age 28 you can turn your life around and end up a healthy grandmother.  I hope so.  The doctors can fix your heart but only you can live a life that will keep it healthy.  Good luck and my prayers are with you.
Hi Rebecca.  I am 31 with a VSD since birth and am getting ready to have mine repaired in Miami at the end of this month.  I too have kids, which definitely makes it a little scarey, but also so important to be as healthy as you can.  I got endocarditis, which is why I am having to have it repaired after all this time.  I have found a good pediatric cardiologist in Miami and would be happy to share the info with you.  You can email me at ***@****.