Heart Disease Expert Forum
Valve Replacement Surgery: Post-Op Bleeding.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My boyfriend's dad just had and aortic valve replacement today, and they also performed a bypass while the were operating. My boyfriend and his family went to see his dad a little while ago, and he was awake, still fuzzy from all the medicine obviously, but awake and responsive. After they left the hospital, in about 10 minutes, a nurse called and said that his dad was bleeding, so they had to take him back into surgery, so they could find out what was going on.

My question is this: What could be going on? Obviously we're all pretty worried, especially mom, and I'm not asking for a diagnosis, but what are the possibilities here? What's the best case scenario? What's the worst case scenario?  

Thanks in advance.
1 Comment
Where the heart tissue has been dissected and rejoined, it could have come apart again. It could be in the valve area. It could be that a bypass graft is leaking where attached to his main coronary arteries. It's all guess work until he is opened up and examined, and then the appropriate repairs can be made. It's a good job he was in hospital at this time because the worse case scenario is bleeding to death, but there is little chance of this happening now. They will probably just have to strengthen some of the work they initially did.