Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vasotec cough - HELP!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vasotec cough - HELP!!

I am being treated for GERD but have not been examined by laproscope, etc. I now believe that since I'm taking Vasotec, my severe cough is due to that medication and not to reflux. Sometimes the cough is dry and sometimes it produces a clear, normal looking mucous from the lungs. Is there any way to distinquish between GERD cough and Vasotec cough? It seems to originate in the lungs, not in the throat, and it's what I call paroxysmal.....I usually cough for a couple of minutes, it's uncontrollable, and I usually wet myself (wearing serenity pads!!). I need help ASAP, and this cough is driving me crazy (I've had it 5 weeks, but it's worsening.) Please advise!! Thanks!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Rita:
The cough caused by the class of medications called ACE inhibitors (such as Vasotec) is typically a dry cough that can come on without warning.  It is difficult to control with anti-cough medications.  It should not worsen with time.  There are other medications that can be used for the heart and high blood pressure that do not cause coughing as a side effect; you should talk to your doctor about maybe switching to one of these.
In addition, you should talk to your doctor about the cause of the cough.  Though GERD and Vasotec are possibilities, diseases of the lung such as asthma and emphysema are also considerations.
I hope this is the information you were looking for.  Good luck.
Information provided here is for general purposes only.  Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist.