Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vasovagal syncope or what??

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vasovagal syncope or what??

Hello! I'm a 16-year-old female and have no medical history of heart disease...whatsoever.
This happened about three months ago but, at the time, I thought it was nothing. My friend tried to skateboard while giving me a piggyback ride(BAD IDEA, PEOPLE!!!) and he fell. I only hit my elbow, but he had scratched his face pretty badly. I quickly ran to the nearest restaurant(thank God it was only a few steps away), grabbed some napkins, then went to put pressure on the wounds. All of a sudden, I started getting nauseous before realizing I needed more napkins. I arrived at the restaurant a few seconds later, but by the time I got there, I could barely stand or breathe; my vision was going white; everything sounded dull, slurred and muffled; I was sweating and ready to pass out. I couldn't even help my friend because I couldn't even look at him. I had to sit down on the floor to recover, which took about 5-7 minutes. By the time I had pretty much fully recovered, he had stopped bleeding for the most part(he wasn't that bad; I know faces bleed a lot). My family said it was shock, but I had similar symptoms while watching a friend just pick at her scabs(don't ask ><), but not as bad because I looked away quickly and sat down. Usually I wouldn't care, but here's the thing: I have absolutely NO FEAR of blood!!! I was the one helping clean him up. Also, when I look at my own blood, its not as bad at all. However, looking and my girl friend and my skateboarding friend, I feel just like I'm gonna die!

I understand: some are you are probably thinking, "This 16-year-old girl has had no medical history of heart disease and she has no idea what she's talking about!" All I need is a little advice and if it's even anything to worry about. I'm totally clueless and I'd like to get in some advice from you guys before I go to my mother and ask her to waste time and money for a test that might turn up negative.
Yup, your guess was right on!  !hat you had was almost certainly a vasovagal episode.  Your symptoms:  "...barely stand or breathe; my vision was going white; everything sounded dull, slurred and muffled; I was sweating and ready to pass out," are absolutely classic.

You might have thought that rationally you were in charge, but your autonomic nervous system had other, non-verbal ideas.  It's very difficult to control these responses, but emergency medical personnel often have to learn to overcome them,  and they manage.

You're smart, and I think you've nailed the situation, but if you're really worried (and an experience like this can trigger anxiety), by all means, have your mom make an appointment with your doc to talk about it.

Thank you very much for your advice!! ^^
I forgot to ask this, sorry ><. Do you know why I'd react so differently to other peoples blood compared to my own? I figured any sight of blood would trigger an episode.
Jeez I keep getting more questions! I'm really sorry, but pictures of blood(I played a game that allowed me to see real-life surgical pictures, such as knee replacement surgery) also doesn't trigger anything. I guess only seeing it on others in real life triggers it. Is that still an episode or something else?
Real life involves not only sight, but smell and touch, and the fact that a friend was involved is no doubt a powerful part of it (as was the case with the scab-picking episode).  The sheer quantity of blood is a factor, too, and there is a chance that if you saw yourself covered in that much blood, you might in fact have a pretty strong reaction.

The autonomic nervous system doesn't have much to do with rational responses.  There are some stimuli you cannot talk yourself out of.

Interestingly, though, you *might* outgrow the tendency.  For some reason, young people your age are more prone to vasovagal faints.

Again, if you're really worried, ask to see your GP--but it sounds to me as though you're perfectly normal.
Alright, I'm POSITIVE I have no more questions. Thank you!