Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vasovagal syncope

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vasovagal syncope
Posted By Marie on November 15, 1998 at 15:45:32:

I wrote on October 7th, 1998, and received a respone on October 8th, 1998.   The doctor who responded was very helpful to me.  Now I could use some more help...
I wanted to see if you could give me any information on what exactly the medication Atenolol does for vasovagal syncope and how it can help?  I have been taking this going on 3 weeks and it seems to be helping somewhat.  I wonder how long it takes for this medication to do what it's supposed to do.  The complaints I went to my doctor with after trying no medication for this condition were anxiety, nervousness, sluggishness, and heart pounding.  He decided to try me on Atenolol for the vasovagal syncope and also said it could help with anxiety.  I'm still feeling some of the anxiet and heart pounding,  but am doing better.  Before being diagnosed with vasovagal syncope, I was given numerous tests to rule out any other conditions.  Tests were EKG, holter monitor, cat scan of the head, echocardiogram.  All proved to be negative.  The tilt table test is what diagnosed the VVS.  My doctor wants me back in one month to see how I'm doing.  He did mention that he could try an SSRI if this medication doesn't help.  Any help or suggestions on your part would be greatly appreciated!