Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ventricular Septal Defect - VSD

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ventricular Septal Defect - VSD

My daughter age 14 had open heart surgery for VSD at 5 years old. Now the doctor said there is leakage of the aortic valve my daughter needs valve repair surgery. Since this type of surgery are not done much here, I intend to take my daughter overseas for treatment. My problem is I dont know which is the best hospital for valve surgery and how much is the cost. I am very worried now  since the doctor told me that about 50% of the blood goes back in.  

I am living in Malaysia. In this country, there is only one National Heart Institute.  I need to know the risk of the operation and the outcome if I did not want my daughter to have another major surgery. In fact, the last time they operate, they said they would repair the valve but they did not. I find out later and nothing I can do. I will be very grateful if you could refer me to the best surgeon for aortic valve repair. Even if I have to sell my house, my daughter life is more important to me than all the money in the world.
Cindy,

I certainly think of the Cleveland Clinic as the place I would go if I had a family member that needed open heart surgery.  There are counselors in most institutions (we have an internaltional health office) that can give you an idea of how much the procedure will cost.

That said there are good pediatric sugeons in many countries. Im not sure of your daughters full medical history, but her valve may not have needed repair at the time of her original surgery, so do not let that completely jade you on the procedure.  It might be worth it financially to initially seek a second opinion from an institution to see if they agree with the course of her care thus far.

hope this is a start
You might also consider the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.