Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ventricular Septal Defect

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ventricular Septal Defect

I am a 28 year old woman.  I was diagnosed with a VSD at birth.  A cardiolgist folled me throughout my childhood (until about age 5)and did not recommend surgery to close the small hole.  I assume that the doctor thought the hole would eventually close on its own.  I have never had any problems, except for having to take medication before any dental procedures. However, I am now an adult, and I still have this hole in my heart.  At the age of 23 I had a right heart catheterization done.  The conclusions reached by the doctor were that I have a small ventriculoseptal defect, and an aneurysm of the ventricular septum in the region of the VSD was found. No pulmonary stenosis was found.  Recently I had another echo done with another cardiologist which found that there was normal left ventrical systolic function, pulmanary artery enlargment; right atrial enlargement, and interatrial septal aneuysm.  

My question is that I am trying to determine if I should have surery to get this hole closed, and what would surgery entail.  So far, I haven't gotten any clear cut answers from the doctors.  Since I'm healthy and have had no problems, they are taking this "do nothing" approach. But, I am concerned with whether or not I will have any problems as I get up in age.
Whether you need surgery depends on whether you have any cardiac symptoms, such as shortness of breath, and just how big the hole is. Specific measurements from a right heart catheterization and echo can help determine this. Changes in the size and function of your heart over the past several years can also help determine if you need surgery now or in the future. You may want to see a cardiologist who specializes in adult congenital heart disease about this matter.
don't end up like me. i got to 48 with a known vsd plus a trill detected when i was 14. advise was do nothing. turned out that the vsd did nothing to help a sinus of valsalva in finally rupturing. these things can't be detected until they do , but there is a propensity to lean that way .  i would probe a bit further and do not leave it till too late as it is a big hole you go into with l/r hf and it is insidious in the way it creaps up on you.

i am still not out of the woods..scheduled for aortic valve replacement all because of a small vsd the said in the 60's would do no harm.
VSDs are tricky to deal with. They come in several types. Certain VSDs can lead to damage to the aortic valve, and it is often best to repair these early.
A related discussion, ventricular septal defect was started.
A related discussion, small vsd was started.